Talk to me about bike alarms

Thread: Talk to me about bike alarms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    Good logic here, I like it. I usually lock the forks over and you are right, who is gonna lift 850lbs? Maybe that was a non starter for an alarm and I should just get some disco lights.
    To answer your question: 4 big guys with some 4x4s.....white nondescript van with temporary tags.....<poof>

Just spent 2 months riding around Europe with a buddy and stayed in a few sketchy areas. We ran the gamut of "full lock down" to simply removing the key. "Full lock down" required an alarmed disc lock, steering locked, bikes cable locked together, bikes chain locked to an immovable object and then both bikes covered with full covers. Occassionally we had to leave jackets and helmets with the bikes too, so they were cable locked to the bikes, under the covers. Never had a problem! But a total pain in the ass. We felt the covers were the best protection, as at least a thief would first have to recognize the bike as something they wanted to steal, and then devote the time to removing the cover to determine if they had the tools to actually steal it - ie, an angle grinder or cable cutters etc, etc. Most thefts are opportunistic; they cruise by and see the bike and make a very quick decision to steal it. That's hard to do if it's covered. Also, when you're travelling you aren't predictable, so it's hard for true professionals to "plan" to steal your bike ahead of time. But if you want to see how fast they can do it, watch the youtube vids of thiefs in London with the angle grinders.... admittedly mostly shitty scooters etc, but they sure have balls!