Talk to me about bike alarms - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk to me about bike alarms

Good logic here, I like it. I usually lock the forks over and you are right, who is gonna lift 850lbs Maybe that was a non starter for an alarm and I should just get some disco lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    Good logic here, I like it. I usually lock the forks over and you are right, who is gonna lift 850lbs? Maybe that was a non starter for an alarm and I should just get some disco lights.
    To answer your question: 4 big guys with some 4x4s.....white nondescript van with temporary tags.....<poof>

Just spent 2 months riding around Europe with a buddy and stayed in a few sketchy areas. We ran the gamut of "full lock down" to simply removing the key. "Full lock down" required an alarmed disc lock, steering locked, bikes cable locked together, bikes chain locked to an immovable object and then both bikes covered with full covers. Occassionally we had to leave jackets and helmets with the bikes too, so they were cable locked to the bikes, under the covers. Never had a problem! But a total pain in the ass. We felt the covers were the best protection, as at least a thief would first have to recognize the bike as something they wanted to steal, and then devote the time to removing the cover to determine if they had the tools to actually steal it - ie, an angle grinder or cable cutters etc, etc. Most thefts are opportunistic; they cruise by and see the bike and make a very quick decision to steal it. That's hard to do if it's covered. Also, when you're travelling you aren't predictable, so it's hard for true professionals to "plan" to steal your bike ahead of time. But if you want to see how fast they can do it, watch the youtube vids of thiefs in London with the angle grinders.... admittedly mostly shitty scooters etc, but they sure have balls!

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    lots of people who "just want to sit on them".
    That's my pet peeve. Adult males that don't respect the property of others and parents who let their small children sit on the bike without my permission get a lecture on how dangerous that can be.

However unless your insurance underwriter gives you a discount for the alarm, they're useless and a waste of money. Lock the forks and take the key.

Didn't Harley have an issue where the bike wouldn't play nice with an anti theft transponder and shut off in mid stride?
    Last edited by unsub; 12-21-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!