I80 from Ohio to Utah?

Thread: I80 from Ohio to Utah?

I80 from Ohio to Utah?

What is it like on a bike in mid June? Thinking of making the trip. What are the temperatures like?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Nice ride from Nebraska to Utah, temps probably it the 60/70’s but can also get pretty hot that time of year. Be prepared for quick moving storms.
    Last edited by Fourks; 01-26-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Windy.

Four of my five kids went to college in Utah and couple of them got married there...As a result we made many, many trips across I-80 from Michigan to Utah and it can be "cool as a cucumber drive" or miserable with black ice in parts of Wyoming...As said above, the winds can get pretty nasty at times and it does not seem to matter what time of year you travel...M son-in-law rode his Valkyrie out here from Utah a few years back and it rained for most all the 1700 miles...I have driven in the car, never on the bike, in rain, snow, sleet, black ice, closed roads in Wyoming and also on beautiful sunny days...Basically it is a "crap shoot" from a weather standpoint....We are driving to Utah early next month for my granddaughter's wedding, unless the weather forecast is lousy...At 79 years old now, I am much more selective about when I drive and where....You should be fine as most states across this area have frequent rest stops and numerous gas stops except for Wyoming...Regards and ride safe

Like has been mentioned the wind can be tough!
    Cool in the mornings

That's a long way to ride on a freeway. You should mix in some backroads, on your journey.

Awful boring road, but plenty of places to stop for food and fuel

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    What is it like on a bike in mid June? Thinking of making the trip. What are the temperatures like?
    Maybe this weather page (which also supports a great little free app) may help you plan your days riding. There are a multitude of layers you can choose in the display.

Happy trails.

https://www.windy.com/
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Sounds Like a Great Ride

I've ridden I-80 from the George Washington bridge to San Francisco. I've been on the Wyoming and Nebraska portions many times. The weather has usually been just fine.

June would be one of the best months for weather. You may hit some thunderstorms, but in the summer they usually pass through quickly. Wyoming can be windy at times, but there are windier places, like western Kansas. You'll have cool, even cold, mornings at the high altitudes in Wyoming and Utah, but probably not on the remainder of the route.

Some stretches can get boring, which is inevitable on any 1,000+ mile ride. But there's lot's of history on the route. It follows some of the Oregon Trail in Nebraska and Wyoming. Much of the route traces US-30, the 'Lincoln Highway'. An absolute must see place is Ole's Big Game Steakhouse in Paxton, Nebraska. You've never seen anything like it.