Garmin Zumo 595 - USB

Thread: Garmin Zumo 595 - USB

Garmin Zumo 595 - USB

I was determined to add a couple of accessories in 2019.

Up until now I've tried to keep the accessories limited to what I can really use as oppose to just farkles. So, my first accessory was to upgrade the 5-6 year old Zumo 660 to the 595.

I knew going in that the 595 had a charging only USB cable as part of the loom and I was scratching my head as to where to put it.

For now I piggybacked it onto the driver's coms cable. It sits cleanly side by side with the coms cable without any modification to the notch beside the left cubby.

The rubber cover "appears" to be water proof but I'm not keen on having it exposed so I'll leave it for now until I can find a better spot.

As was the case with the Zumo 660 there is not a lot of room under the left cubby for all the excess wiring.

Lights are next when they arrive!

GPSUSB.jpg
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

I see no need for that charging only USB cable so mine sits unused and out of sight behind the plastic somewhere.

The power cable from my 395 goes down the handlebar and then under the plastic to get power under the left cubby. Mine has lots of room under the cubby. Works well. Switched power. Audio feed via BT.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    The power cable from my 395 goes down the handlebar and then under the plastic to get power under the left cubby. Mine has lots of room under the cubby. Works well. Switched power. Audio feed via BT.
    That's how I had the 660 installed. I followed the same route under the left handlebar trim and back around under the left cubby with the 595 to the same switched power accessory connection. The Garmin audio out mates to the OEM 3.5 audio jack for mp3 tunes and turn by turn instructions through the headset or speakers.

Since I had eventually planned to install a power port in the left cubby for a USB charger I thought this provided plug might do the trick instead. Otherwise it does feel like a 6th finger just hanging there.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I see no need for that charging only USB cable so mine sits unused and out of sight behind the plastic somewhere.
    I'm with you, Michael; it's under the plastic, along with the intercom dongle, which I also have no use for. Following your lead, I also bought Garmin's plastic cover, for when my 595 is off the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
    I'm with you, Michael; it's under the plastic, along with the intercom dongle, which I also have no use for. Following your lead, I also bought Garmin's plastic cover, for when my 595 is off the bike.
    Yep that cover is cheap protection. I next will follow your lead and hide that intercom dongle.