F6B's for sale

Thread: F6B's for sale

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joflewbyu2 View Post
    I made a mistake. I just checked and mine has 4 wire O2 sensors which are heated. I was looking at getting O2 eliminators and the site I was on stated 01-14 were 2 wire sensors and 15+ were 4 wire heated. Should have checked before posting.
    No problem. I usually post from memory and that's not always a reliable source!

But something definitely changed on my 2016. It runs fine on 87 octane fuel. But in very hot weather I had to use premium fuel in my 2013. I remember accelerating hard from a stop one extremely hot day. The engine started pinging noticeably. But in a moment it stopped, then started again. It continued that cycle a few more times. I assume the engine's computer detected the knock an made incremental adjustments to the ignition advance. From that day forward I always used premium except on chilly winter days.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    No problem. I usually post from memory and that's not always a reliable source!

But something definitely changed on my 2016. It runs fine on 87 octane fuel. But in very hot weather I had to use premium fuel in my 2013. I remember accelerating hard from a stop one extremely hot day. The engine started pinging noticeably. But in a moment it stopped, then started again. It continued that cycle a few more times. I assume the engine's computer detected the knock an made incremental adjustments to the ignition advance. From that day forward I always used premium except on chilly winter days.
    A point to think about, fuel is not the same, at each location. 87 octane in one station is not exactly the same as other stations. Different companies use different additives, and the length of time the fuel has "sat" in the gas stations large tanks, has an effect on it's performance. Fresh 87 octane, does not "stay" at 87 forever. it loses some of its "strength", as time goes on. Plus, you don't allways get what you think your purchasing, when buying fuel. I have a fuel tester, that will separate and tell the percentage of alcohol in the fuel. I have several times, seen fuel pumps marked at 10% alcohol or less, but when the fuel is tested, it's close to the 18% range. High alcohol is bad for small motors, like chains saws, and will decrease your milage on your cycle or car. This is another reason that some riders claim they get different MPG than others.

I think you should get the matt silver one. It is the fastest color

Screenshot_20190128-210939_Gallery.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    A point to think about, fuel is not the same, at each location. 87 octane in one station is not exactly the same as other stations. Different companies use different additives, and the length of time the fuel has "sat" in the gas stations large tanks, has an effect on it's performance. Fresh 87 octane, does not "stay" at 87 forever. it loses some of its "strength", as time goes on. Plus, you don't allways get what you think your purchasing, when buying fuel. I have a fuel tester, that will separate and tell the percentage of alcohol in the fuel. I have several times, seen fuel pumps marked at 10% alcohol or less, but when the fuel is tested, it's close to the 18% range. High alcohol is bad for small motors, like chains saws, and will decrease your milage on your cycle or car. This is another reason that some riders claim they get different MPG than others.
    It could have been a bad tank of fuel, but the bike had pinged several times earlier, just not as badly as that one time. I rode it for over 40,000 miles and it definitely required higher octane fuel than my 2016, which has never once exhibited a hint of detonation. Maybe it's those louder pipes on the 2016 covering it up!

I've seen this before. I have a '98 Valkyrie Tourer I bought new that runs fine on the 85 octane fuel they call 'regular' here at high altitudes. But I have a '99 Valkyrie Interstate that knocks badly on anything but premium when the weather is very hot. The Interstates had an ICM with a faster advance curve to compensate for the extra weight, so that could be a factor. Since I bought it used it's possible the P.O. installed a trigger wheel. Interestingly, the Interstate also gets considerably better fuel mileage than the lighter Tourer. But there's definitely a distinct difference between the two bikes, even though they use virtually the same engine.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    It could have been a bad tank of fuel, but the bike had pinged several times earlier, just not as badly as that one time. I rode it for over 40,000 miles and it definitely required higher octane fuel than my 2016, which has never once exhibited a hint of detonation. Maybe it's those louder pipes on the 2016 covering it up!

I've seen this before. I have a '98 Valkyrie Tourer I bought new that runs fine on the 85 octane fuel they call 'regular' here at high altitudes. But I have a '99 Valkyrie Interstate that knocks badly on anything but premium when the weather is very hot. The Interstates had an ICM with a faster advance curve to compensate for the extra weight, so that could be a factor. Since I bought it used it's possible the P.O. installed a trigger wheel. Interestingly, the Interstate also gets considerably better fuel mileage than the lighter Tourer. But there's definitely a distinct difference between the two bikes, even though they use virtually the same engine.
    My Interstate also got about 5 MPG better than my Tourer. If you do have a trigger wheel than you need to run premium fuel

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    My Interstate also got about 5 MPG better than my Tourer. If you do have a trigger wheel than you need to run premium fuel
    That's about the same mileage difference I see. It's surprising what a gas hog that Tourer is. One time with strong headwinds in Kansas I got 17 MPG!

I need to change out the timing belts on the Interstate so I'll see if the previous owner installed a trigger wheel.