Harley in big financial trouble - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harley in big financial trouble

There more level headed kids than you think. You only hear about the crazies because they are "news worthy", and they fit the agenda.
    Traffic #1 and cost is what I hear from my younger ones. Plus they grew up on a big tv diet.
    I taught my kids respect, but you don't see much of it on tv.
    Society goes through changes, you cant stop it.
    We went from horses to cars to bikes and planes.
    Something BIG is coming and I don't think bikes will be a thing in the next generation.
    But I won't be a thing either. I'll just be a thought in my great grandsons head,,,, if they still have heads then??
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    ...but, are they? Let's use the number $25,000 in 2019 as the price one pays for a new Wing. Accounting for inflation, that's equivalent to $11,800 in 1988. What did a new Wing cost in 1988?
    You're probably right. I read somewhere that if you calculate the price of a new car in hours of labor, using the average wage for a U.S. worker, it takes less work to buy a car than it did a few decades ago. Add to that far better mileage, performance, and reliability, and cars today are a better deal than ever. The same likely applies to motorcycles.

It's the same with fuel prices. In real dollars, gasoline is about as cheap today as it's ever been.

Don't forget about the college debt they come out with. Takes decades to pay it off.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    Don't forget about the college debt they come out with. Takes decades to pay it off.
    But it doesn't HAVE to. Poor decisions spur many of those with huge debt. Taking your gen-eds at a local community college as opposed to the 4-year university is a great way to save money. Not like those gen-eds you take in your first 2 years are much different from school-to-school. In my experience, many times, those with mass debt didn't know what they wanted to do when they went into college and 'experimented', changing majors like I change socks.

The armed forces are still hiring and provide great educational benefits. Lastly, not everyone's meant for the ivory. Trade schools can prepare you for a great career. Check out Mike Rowe Works for examples. I'd love to see the folks that work on my F6B be treated, taught, and experienced like those Porche maintenance apprentices I used to drink with over in Germany, instead of some junior that went to a current highschool that doesn't even include a shop-class.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Every generation loves to shake their heads at younger generations. My father said me and my friends were lazy and did not care about getting ahead in this world. His father told him and his friends that they were a bunch of pot smoking, bandana wearing wannabe hippies who were doomed. Each generation also fears the next generation's ability to pay for their social security.

Well, most of us turned out fine, and so will these guys. Even if spoiled, the world will whip most of them into shape, just it did to me when my mom stopped doing my laundry and paying for my car insurance at age 23.

"The kids will be alright".

That being said, recreational vehicles tend to wax and wane. Didn't the motorcycle industry fear going out of business 30-40 years ago? It will always be around, manufacturers will adjust. If it goes away, it will go away due to market forces, which can be harsh.
    Student loans are a factor affecting lots of recreational products. These loans often run 10 years or more, and soak up discretionary funds that could otherwise go to bikes, boats, etc.
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

We all sound like a bunch of old farts complaining about millenials. They all seem like great kids to me, with financial burdens we never had when we were young. Between high rents, low pay, paying off student loans, and the added cost of the digital age. Mostly the reason they are all so broke. Seems to me the previous generation is the one with entitlement issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourks View Post
    We all sound like a bunch of old farts complaining about millenials. They all seem like great kids to me, with financial burdens we never had when we were young. Between high rents, low pay, paying off student loans, and the added cost of the digital age. Mostly the reason they are all so broke. Seems to me the previous generation is the one with entitlement issues.
    Maybe....but....
    I've got some "first-hand knowledge" of college students at University of West Florida.
    What will and will not do.
    What they will and will not eat.
    What they will purchase and then say they are broke.

Example: I have a phone plan with TMobil where I have 4 phones, unlimited data & texts, free CONUS calls. $100/month. No, there are no free phone upgrades. You buy a phone and you use it.
    Their response: "That's just silly, I NEED the free upgrades."

Example: Seminar lecture. Free Firehouse turkey subs, chips & cookies.
    They ate the cookies, brought in $5 coffee from wherever, wouldn't touch the subs because "I don't like Firehouse subs, I only eat Mike's Famous."
    And then complain, again, they are broke.

I'm not seeing things from their perspective. At all.
    Yes, they are broke, but it's because they have made continuously poor choices.
    They do not know how to cook from raw materials - huge $$$$ savings there.
    They do not know how to manage and save money.
    They do not repair - they discard or get a "free" upgrade.

There's a popular radio commercial that starts out with "If you have credit card debt of more than $10,000, it may not be your fault!" Seriously???? Get real.

You make your bed; you sleep in it.
    Freedom of choice comes with consequences.
    "Play stupid games; win stupid prizes."
    And the games are just getting sillier....

I need more Irish Creme in my coffee apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Maybe....but....
    I've got some "first-hand knowledge" of college students at University of West Florida.
    What will and will not do.
    What they will and will not eat.
    What they will purchase and then say they are broke.

Example: I have a phone plan with TMobil where I have 4 phones, unlimited data & texts, free CONUS calls. $100/month. No, there are no free phone upgrades. You buy a phone and you use it.
    Their response: "That's just silly, I NEED the free upgrades."

Example: Seminar lecture. Free Firehouse turkey subs, chips & cookies.
    They ate the cookies, brought in $5 coffee from wherever, wouldn't touch the subs because "I don't like Firehouse subs, I only eat Mike's Famous."
    And then complain, again, they are broke.

I'm not seeing things from their perspective. At all.
    Yes, they are broke, but it's because they have made continuously poor choices.
    They do not know how to cook from raw materials - huge $$$$ savings there.
    They do not know how to manage and save money.
    They do not repair - they discard or get a "free" upgrade.

There's a popular radio commercial that starts out with "If you have credit card debt of more than $10,000, it may not be your fault!" Seriously???? Get real.

You make your bed; you sleep in it.
    Freedom of choice comes with consequences.
    "Play stupid games; win stupid prizes."
    And the games are just getting sillier....

I need more Irish Creme in my coffee apparently.
    Well, What are you doing with those college kids? I sent one to college and she came back ruined. The one that stayed home and got a job is doing much better and already owns a home and a good steady job. I mostly caulk it up to immaturity, and all those ideas they are teaching our kids. I just think we should be supportive of the next gen, they have the weight of the world on their shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourks View Post
    Well, What are you doing with those college kids? I sent one to college and she came back ruined. The one that stayed home and got a job is doing much better and already owns a home and a good steady job. I mostly caulk it up to immaturity, and all those ideas they are teaching our kids. I just think we should be supportive of the next gen, they have the weight of the world on their shoulders.
    Wife is in Grad school - again. She teaches grad school also. She sees all this.
    Did you know a Master's program "Full-Load" is only SIX credit hours a semester??? SIX??? This is why these kids are dying. Too much time on their hands and too many semesters ($$$$) to complete their 'education.'

Both my daughters went to good colleges, (Rensselaer Poly and Penn State) both got dual majors and dual minors in a 4 year program, and worked part time. Upon graduation, they were both debt free (scholarships, job, and work-study) and outright owners of their cars (I helped a bit here) and had money in their checking accounts. Both are currently working, doing well, supporting themselves. The elder is in IT and making more money than I ever did. The younger is in education and not making as much but she's happy. Neither have ever asked to move home nor asked for a "grant" - but they know if there's an issue, we'll work something out.

Kids (and people in general) will "push the envelop" and try and do as little as possible. "If the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum, right?"
    Setting reasonably high expectations and HOLDING THEM ACCOUNTABLE is where parents - in general - are failing miserably these days.
    Now granted, someone with an IQ of 70 is not going to do what my kids did, and they are probably never going to have the disposable income to buy a $35,000 motorcycle and we probably wouldn't want them on a motorcycle in the first place.
    My younger daughter, after her first few days at PSU, called home and said "Thank you for not raising me like 6 year old." She was amazed and disgusted at the girls who HAD to talk to mommy several times a day for hours at a time. I don't want that dependency on a bike either.

Fourks - they may HAVE the weight of the world on their shoulders, but they are seriously ill equipped to deal with it.
    e07.jpg

I will support those who want to make a difference, make good choices, and not play silly games.
    I will NOT support what I term "willful ignorance" stemming from emotional trials & tribulations.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Fourks - they may HAVE the weight of the world on their shoulders, but they are seriously ill equipped to deal with it.
    e07.jpg

I will support those who want to make a difference, make good choices, and not play silly games.
    I will NOT support what I term "willful ignorance" stemming from emotional trials & tribulations.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/