Need Help planning a trip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help planning a trip

Need Help planning a trip

I'm planning a trip late spring thru South Dakota and to Yellowstone. I will be pulling my Aspen camper and would like to hear from anyone who has camped at Yellowstone as to the camp sites and do I need to make reservations. I also would like to know when the roads are most likely to be free of snow and ice, hoping to beat the summer crowd. Any information related to roads, attractions or camping spots would be appreciated. Thanks, Gordon

a few years ago, after attending the Sturgis rally, I continued on to Yellowstone. Great time. I stayed in Cody, Wy, then the next morning I rode into Yellowstone. I had so much fun looking around, that I lost track of time. About 5pm,I started to think, where am I going to camp tonight? There were 2 campsites at Yellowstone, and luckily, they had a spot for a motorcycle. I had no tent or sleeping bag. You know, this is August, and Sturgis was in the 90's. Well, the campground was around 7500 ft elevation, so guess what, it got real cold overnight. Frost on the ground. I did have a small tarp, tied onto the side of the bike, which I crawled under. I had every piece of clothing I brought, on me. About 5;30 am, I had to get up and take a fast walk, to get my blood moving. I had no food with me, as I was eating at resturants on my trip. So, your pulling a camper, should resolve most of the stupidity that I had, but with a camper, yes, make rsvp in advance, if your planning to stay in Yellowstone, and bring some food. Just don't leave any food outside at night, or you may find a bear in your campsite. I would not recommend trying to stay there, around the Sturgis rally. People like me, flood the place. June- may have some snow, but shouldn't be too much. Enjoy!

Thanks jm21ddd15 Thats the kind of info I'm hoping to get.

Godon,

It sounds like you are going to have a great trip. The campgrounds in Yellowstone do book up early and are very crowded. There is a motorcycle campground just outside the east entrance of Yellowstone that is very nice and reasonably priced. The name of the campground is Wheels of Wonderment and it is in Wapiti, Wyoming. It is a great place to stay and the couple that runs it are very involved and very social. It is also close enough to the Beartooth Highway that it is an easy day ride from the campground.

Just a suggestion but it does allow you to experience Yellowstone and the escape the crowds in the evenings.

Have a great trip
    Az Wingrider

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    I'm planning a trip late spring thru South Dakota and to Yellowstone. I will be pulling my Aspen camper and would like to hear from anyone who has camped at Yellowstone as to the camp sites and do I need to make reservations. I also would like to know when the roads are most likely to be free of snow and ice, hoping to beat the summer crowd. Any information related to roads, attractions or camping spots would be appreciated. Thanks, Gordon
    Note:
    Check to see if the campground you want allows soft sided trailers, if your trailer is soft sided.
    Heavy park road construction (read soft gravel) may be in progress when you go, so inquire when and and what road sections are affected before you leave.
    In our experience park sites are booked early early early BUT if you decide to travel standby it doesn't hurt to ask if there are cancellations on the day you arrive. We snagged a few days at Fishing Bridge this way. Base camp at Cody is not a terrible option and drive the 100 miles or so return to the park entrance each day you visit.
    YNP is almost 3500 square miles. Distances between viewpoints can be anywhere from 40 miles to 75+ miles so when you're ready to see the sights leave early in the day and plan a lot of driving each day in the park.

Gordon I can't suggest one attraction over any other. YNP's designation as a super volcano makes the entire park a must see, and see it as soon as possible. The wife and I are going back as soon as we can get the time together.

Happy and safe travels.

Yellowstone Park Map PDF
    Last edited by unsub; 01-29-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added comment
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Thanks Az Wingrider for your input I will call Wheels of Wonderment for their information ( I enjoyed meeting you in Cortez last year). That sounds like a great place to park my camper and travel Yellowstone. unsub ,I appreciate the map and "heads up" about the road conditions, My camper is soft sided so I was wondering also about bears and other wildlife visiting my campsite. Thank you both for your information and suggestions, that is one very important reason why this is such a great forum

I've spent a lots of time in the back country and campgrounds over the years. Most wildlife will avoid a busy campground. But I would just dispose of all my trash at the end of each day, don't leave any food out and keep it sealed. If your dry camping in the backcountry hang your food suspended between two trees. have a great trip!

One way to avoid the Yellowstone crowd is to go Grand Teton park. It boarders the south side of Yellowstone. It's easy to camp in Tetons and drive to Yellowstone as a day trip. The Tetons have great mountain scenery. Campgrounds in the two parks are run by the National Park Service. Check their website for current rules/rates. Have tent camped there several times and found it very clean and safe. I noticed you said "late spring." Earliest I went was in early June. The higher elevation road between Tetons and Yellowstone was recently opened with snow on each side. Jacket weather during the day and quite cool at night. The National Park Service websites are packed with good info. Can't say enough good things about the rangers at those parks. Enjoy.

Thanks Fourks and Thor for your suggestions, the more information I can gather the better my trip will be. With everyone's input so far is making me anxious to pack up and go. From what I have learned so far it seems like I will have to wait toward the last of May before many campgrounds are open and the roads are cleared.

You didn't mention it specifically, but if you are looking at Glacier Nat'l Park, the Going-to-the-Sun Road isn't usually open to the top until late June.
    I got there a few years ago as they had just opened it.
    AMAZING RIDING!

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce