Garmin 595 - what exactly can they do?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 595 - what exactly can they do?

Garmin 595 - what exactly can they do?

I am thinking about a GPS, one with as many features as possible.

I would like to be able to sit at the computer I am typing at right now, get on a website, select a route with roads I choose, and send that to my GPS which then gives me turn-by-turn directions on my route.

Does the 595 allow this?

What else can it do?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

The 595 is in my opinion the best GPS you can get for a motorcycle. It can do the things you ask and many more. I like the tire pressure monitors and the stored music as well as the blue tooth abilities which play music from my phone in my pocket. That also includes any music stations you can access on line with your phone. Others may like the satellite radio abilities and weather or traffic info. It has a huge learning curve but is lots of fun once you can build custom routes. Keeping you on track as well as estimated arrival time and dozens of other info stats. I like recorded track, ability to share/e mail your routes and elevation and top speed read outs also. It is pricey and complicated but it is top of the line for a motorcycle GPS.

I have a 595. I really really like it. I hooked it up to my satellite radio and my phone. They all work together great, I just connect my Bluetooth headset to the gps. The trip planning software on the Garmin site is HORRIBLE. I plan my route right on the unit and that works fine for me.

I like my 395, it keeps me from getting lost & tells me how to get home + my tire pressure. I'm sure it does more but that's all I need it to do. I rarely have music when I'm driving my cage, never when I'm riding my bikes. Different strokes, different folks.

Question for olegoat. Concerning your TP monitor system using the 395, did you swap your tire valve stems out for metal? Just curious.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

You do not have to but you should. The Garmin sensors add weight to the end of the stem. I even make sure mine are on before balancing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    You do not have to but you should. The Garmin sensors add weight to the end of the stem. I even make sure mine are on before balancing.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'll ever use the TPS feature myself but never say never. Certainly a lot of riders like that feature. I thought I'd still be using my first gen. 660, so there you go.

One feature I do like on the 595 is the ability to store / track bike service. I keep a running Excel sheet for everything now, but I can see using the GPS to simplify process.

Maybe there's a way to export the records to Excel, or to see if I can import the Excel sheet I already have?...hmmm haven't spent enough time looking at the possibilities yet.
    Last edited by unsub; 02-04-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Yes, I put in the metal 90 degree valves (like OEM). I use balancing beads, so I'm not concerned about out of balance issues.

Thank you for the info..

Vstar

This isn't really a feature but something I completely overlooked when I installed the 595.

Since I have my 595 connected to the switched power circuit under the left cubby, I assumed it would behave like my previous 660 and actually turn off with the ignition!

After turning the bike's ignition key off the 595 screen does give a message that it will turn off after 14 seconds if you leave it as is. However I don't think the 595 actually turns completely off. The 595 appears to be programmed to go into power saving mode instead, so that you have instant on when you start the bike. That comes at a price because it seems after a few days the 595's battery will run down if the bike is not started. I'm in the process of determining if the user can change that setting. If someone here knows please advise.

So for now the key thing to remember when you shut off your bike for longer than a day, even when connected to a switched power circuit, the user should **long press the power key until you get the message to turn off the device.

This kinda defeats the whole purpose of using a switched power circuit IMO.

-----From Garmin's Manual----------

Turning the Device On or Off

To turn the device on, press the power key, or connect the device to power.
    To put the device in power saving mode, press the power key while the device is on.

While in power saving mode, the screen is off and the device uses very little power, but it can wake instantly for use.
    TIP: You can charge your device faster by putting it in power saving mode while charging the battery.
    **To turn off the device completely, hold the power key until a prompt appears on the screen, and select Off.

The prompt appears after five seconds. If you release the power key before the prompt appears, the device enters power saving mode.
    Last edited by unsub; 02-06-2019 at 04:17 PM.