Garmin 595 - what exactly can they do? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 595 - what exactly can they do?

I have a 590. At first I powered with switched power and did not like the unit shutting down every time I stopped for gas or anytime the key was turned off. That goofs up your route you are following requiring a restart. Additionally my 590 and I would think all are limited as to how many routes it will track. When it shuts down and you power back up it starts a new route so if limited to 20 you might have several tracks in one day and reach the max sooner as well as hard to save the route if following someone and you want to get a copy. The down side is you have to remember to turn it off at the end of the day. It is very noticeable when it is on and will not run the battery down even overnight. So noticeable when stored in a garage and if stored outside I would think the unit is coming off the bike anyway. So I changed mine to full time power and have only run the battery down once in several years.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Vstar

This isn't really a feature but something I completely overlooked when I installed the 595.

Since I have my 595 connected to the switched power circuit under the left cubby, I assumed it would behave like my previous 660 and actually turn off with the ignition!

After turning the bike's ignition key off the 595 screen does give a message that it will turn off after 14 seconds if you leave it as is. However I don't think the 595 actually turns completely off. The 595 appears to be programmed to go into power saving mode instead, so that you have instant on when you start the bike. That comes at a price because it seems after a few days the 595's battery will run down if the bike is not started. I'm in the process of determining if the user can change that setting. If someone here knows please advise.

So for now the key thing to remember when you shut off your bike for longer than a day, even when connected to a switched power circuit, the user should **long press the power key until you get the message to turn off the device.

This kinda defeats the whole purpose of using a switched power circuit IMO.

-----From Garmin's Manual----------

Turning the Device On or Off

To turn the device on, press the power key, or connect the device to power.
    To put the device in power saving mode, press the power key while the device is on.

While in power saving mode, the screen is off and the device uses very little power, but it can wake instantly for use.
    TIP: You can charge your device faster by putting it in power saving mode while charging the battery.
    **To turn off the device completely, hold the power key until a prompt appears on the screen, and select Off.

The prompt appears after five seconds. If you release the power key before the prompt appears, the device enters power saving mode.
    My 550 does the same thing, but I don't leave either device on the bike it is set up for; the 595 on my B, or the 550 on my FJR. They are both in the house when I'm not riding, but if you didn't want to do that, the 595 is a one button push to remove, and fits easily in the cubby.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I have a 590. At first I powered with switched power and did not like the unit shutting down every time I stopped for gas or anytime the key was turned off.
    No override button for that on the 590? Maybe the 595 going into power saving mode on key off fixes that? Hmmmm interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
    My 550 does the same thing, but I don't leave either device on the bike it is set up for; the 595 on my B, or the 550 on my FJR. They are both in the house when I'm not riding, but if you didn't want to do that, the 595 is a one button push to remove, and fits easily in the cubby.
    Yes, thanks JM. It was just my long winded way of sharing my observations that the 595 does not power down completely without rider intervention, even while on switched power AND the Garmin message telling the rider it is shutting down when clearly it's not.

Not a deal breaker. My take-a-way is that this unit no longer benefits from the switched power circuit.

Thanks all.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Thanks for the feedback. So, can I ...

1.) hard wire it into power supply in cubby?
    2.) have GPS directions come through audio system while playing music through my phone? Or can I sync my phone to GPS and have music play through the GPS?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post

2.) have GPS directions come through audio system while playing music through my phone? Or can I sync my phone to GPS and have music play through the GPS?
    GPS through the phone. The phone it smarter, I think.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Yes hard wire in the cubby or even better wire direct to batt with it's own fuse. Yes you can get directions thru the audio system on the bike. Yes you can sync your phone with the GPS and receive phone calls or access on line stations like Pandora or the music you have on I-tunes etc. Garmin has an app you put on your phone as least for an I phone I do. You will know when you get a call even with caller ID but can not talk unless you add a mike or a Bluetooth headset and microphone. It is a little complicated as you also can also listen to music stored on the Zumo, the USB port in the left bag and the radio as well as on the phone and on line.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Yes hard wire in the cubby or even better wire direct to batt with it's own fuse. Yes you can get directions thru the audio system on the bike. Yes you can sync your phone with the GPS and receive phone calls or access on line stations like Pandora or the music you have on I-tunes etc. Garmin has an app you put on your phone as least for an I phone I do. You will know when you get a call even with caller ID but can not talk unless you add a mike or a Bluetooth headset and microphone. It is a little complicated as you also can also listen to music stored on the Zumo, the USB port in the left bag and the radio as well as on the phone and on line.
    Thanks a bunch. I will likely pick one up. Amazon and RevZilla basically have it for the same price, all factors considered. Not interested in calls, but am interested in turn-by-turn directions on a route I pre-select, streaming music via my I-tunes, Pandora and Sirius XM possibly, tire pressure monitoring; sounds like it can do all this.

I will ask more questions once I get the unit, but do you run the Garmin through your 3.5mm audio jack or do you use a Bluetooth receiver device that are available online, that you plug your 3.5 mm jack into?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I will ask more questions once I get the unit, but do you run the Garmin through your 3.5mm audio jack or do you use a Bluetooth receiver device that are available online, that you plug your 3.5 mm jack into?
    If you're referring to the 595 which is what I'm familiar with, you can simply connect the Garmin audio out jack (on the existing Garmin wire harness) to the Honda OEM 3.5 jack that resides in the left cubby. That will push turn by turn and other audio cues ( and there are others like music and speed warnings etc..) from the Garmin to your bike speakers or your Honda comms system.

Or if you prefer Bluetooth connectivity it is available out-of-the-box in the unit. No need for adapters for any compatible devices.

Happy trails..
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

I had the 595 for a season. A lot of nice features, I especially liked the TPM. However, the curvy road feature was horrendous and trip planning was very tedious and frustrating.
    I now use Kurviger on my phone. The route planning is fantastic. The curvy road feature is outstanding. This is a very low cost app with a free trial version. I highly recommend this app especially for day trip planning in the North East.
    I'll add alternate TPM. Bright sun display is marginally better on 595 than on my phone and I think the 595 is waterproof which may be a significant factor for some.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Choosing curvy road and hoping the unit tells you where to go is not what a GPS excels at. What it does excel at is you telling it where you want to go and on what roads and it will remember all your choices and lay them out in a planned trip for you to follow along with estimated arrivals etc. Looking at every road on Google Earth in you planning stages eliminates the need for a curvy road feature. Use it as an assistant rather than a guide. Yes there is a learning curve to build routes in Map Source because of the all the things they think you might want to do. Once you learn the basics of building your route on the home computer then downloading it onto the Zumo you are good to go, no way a phone can compare. A good GPS beats a phone like a phone beats a paper map like a paper map beats a friends voice directions. All do kinda the same thing in the long run.