Planning a solo trip this spring from Ohio west.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a solo trip this spring from Ohio west.

Planning a solo trip this spring from Ohio west.

I live in Ohio and have ridden to Albuquerque NM twice and enjoyed it. Thinking about going to see the Grand Canyon. Wondering what that area is like on a bike, hotels, motels, ETC.? I'd like to stay in the small independent motels. Places to stay away from?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

If I was going to do a Western trip, especially solo, I would try to take US 50 as far as I could. A couple of years ago Road Runner magazine had a five part story about traveling on 50 coast to coast. It sure sounded interesting. You could drop down to Cincy and pick it up and head West from there. I might have a couple of links about the road, I'll try to put them up here later.

Here's one:

http://route50.com/

Riding from Ohio to the Grand Canyon gives you a lot of options on routes. I would suggest a route through southern Colorado that involves riding in the San Juan Mountains (Million Dollar Highway) then through Monument Valley and then to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Only one of twenty people who visit the Grand Canyon go to the North Rim and it is a totally different experience than the South Rim. The only place to stay at the North Rim is the Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim or Jacob Lake Lodge. Jacob Lake is about 40 miles from the rim itself. If you want to stay at the North Rim Lodge you need to make reservations as soon as possible because it books up way in advance. Also the North Rim does not open until May 15th and is at 8,000 ft elevation so it can be cold even in the Summer

From the North Rim to the South Rim is 200 miles. If you are visiting the South Rim I would suggest staying at Cameron Trading Post just east of the eastern entrance to the Canyon. Cameron Trading Post is a neat place to stay and about half the price of staying in the park or at Tusayan at the south entrance. Another option would be to stay at Williams which is 50 miles south of the south entrance. Williams is a neat town which is dedicated to celebration of Route 66 and worth a visit when you are in the area.

Just some suggestions but I do urge you to consider visiting Monument Valley because it is so close.
    Have a great trip and ride safe
    Az Wingrider

50 looks nice except it looks like it is one lane each way and I bet the speed limit is not 70. Going that distance I prefer to get up and move with few stops except for fuel and water. I'd rather haul butt to get to my destination then find some roads like 50. I am limited on time also. 70 to 44 to 40 is the route I like and usually running about 90mph. Thanks for the suggestion
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Ladies and Gentleman we will have a low flying aircraft in around a big hole in the ground lock all your windows seat set to the upright and secure your dining tray PLEASE all joking aside sounds like a great trip please post pictures be safe

I agree completely!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    Riding from Ohio to the Grand Canyon gives you a lot of options on routes. I would suggest a route through southern Colorado that involves riding in the San Juan Mountains (Million Dollar Highway) then through Monument Valley and then to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Only one of twenty people who visit the Grand Canyon go to the North Rim and it is a totally different experience than the South Rim. The only place to stay at the North Rim is the Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim or Jacob Lake Lodge. Jacob Lake is about 40 miles from the rim itself. If you want to stay at the North Rim Lodge you need to make reservations as soon as possible because it books up way in advance. Also the North Rim does not open until May 15th and is at 8,000 ft elevation so it can be cold even in the Summer

From the North Rim to the South Rim is 200 miles. If you are visiting the South Rim I would suggest staying at Cameron Trading Post just east of the eastern entrance to the Canyon. Cameron Trading Post is a neat place to stay and about half the price of staying in the park or at Tusayan at the south entrance. Another option would be to stay at Williams which is 50 miles south of the south entrance. Williams is a neat town which is dedicated to celebration of Route 66 and worth a visit when you are in the area.

Just some suggestions but I do urge you to consider visiting Monument Valley because it is so close.
    Have a great trip and ride safe
    Az Wingrider

Sounds like a great trip! Since you've got a tight schedule, I'd take I-80 or I-70 to the Rockies to save time. Maybe even go south and take I-40 for a little Route 66 flavor. If you take I-70, I'd cut south at Limon, Colorado on US-24 to avoid Denver traffic. I-70 west of Denver is a beautiful drive but the traffic has become horrible. US-24 takes you to Colorado Springs and from there you have several great routes to the Grand Canyon.

It's hard to go wrong in southern Utah and northern Arizona. With so many great roads I'd take a different route home to make the trip even better.

As for hotels, if you decide to stay in Moab, Utah be prepared to spend a fortune. I stayed there in late October and paid well over $300 for a night in a Hampton Inn! The national parks in the area are spectacular but I've rarely seen such expensive hotels.

Have travelled route 50 last year, you will find out west most of the two lane roads are 60 to 65 mph
    because there ain't much out there. Hit a route 10 in Kansas to Colorado for 85 miles.
    There was absolutely nothing for those 85 miles. I was so glad that gas was not a problem
    because I had gases up just before hitting it. The speed limit on this two lane road was 65.