Planning a solo trip this spring from Ohio west. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning a solo trip this spring from Ohio west.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    I live in Ohio and have ridden to Albuquerque NM twice and enjoyed it. Thinking about going to see the Grand Canyon. Wondering what that area is like on a bike, hotels, motels, ETC.? I'd like to stay in the small independent motels. Places to stay away from?
    Depends on time frame. You may want to book it across 80 into Colorado. Do Independence Pass, Telluride, Million $ Hwy (550) over to Moab (UT), down thru Monument Valley, over to Page to Kanab then to the N. Rim of Grnd Cyn. About 90% of the people who visit the S. Rim. That's why I always go to the N. Rim. Very few cars too. There's people when you arrive but it's not jammed. This 2 laner opens mid-march thru mid-oct. You're up about 8K ft. So even though the N. Rim road is open in March, I was slammed with hail / snow on June 1st about 10 yrs ago. Could only make it to the ranger outpost (entrance), turned around and back to the mom/pop grocery store for some coffee. Ventured back down the hwy for about a mile - hail / sleet / snow returned to being a 'mist', then no mist, then sun shine. Was dry in about 30 minutes. LOL.

In Moab, see if Adventure Inn Motel is avail. Very cool little hotel. Guy came from Florida years ago, and never returned. Jail House café for Breakfast.
    In Telluride, Victorian Inn. Smuggler's Brewpub for dinner / drinks.
    In Quray Chalet Inn. Ouray brewery for drinks / food on the rooftop.

Have BIG FUN.
    Last edited by adventurous1; 03-05-2019 at 12:32 AM.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne