Madstad! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Madstad!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post

Doing 80 back on IH-10, tons of traffic,,, eh,,, pretty rough,,, 'As rough as' any shield I've had so far,,,
    Bummer, my wife and I rode from Tucson to Phx @ 85 ++ and I still got the breeze over my 3/4 lid...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    So you're saying there is still a lot of buffet at 80, right?
    I was riding in a lot of traffic/turbulence,,, I have not tried 80 in 'clean' air,,,

Can't condem it nor can I say it's the neatest thing since sliced bread either,,,

Much quieter and calmer than my 20.5 Baggershield in 'decent' air. (Convertable baggershield slid full 'up')

Not sure what would provide calm air when you can spit and hit 18 wheelers!

Not clear what adjustments I could make to address that either,,, Next move may be to try a set of different holes in the bracket itself,,, reduce overall distance between outer shield and base w/o changing rake.

Having better luck 'laying' air over the top w/o 'stirring/rolling' it with the outer shield layed back a bit more than the recommended 60 degree 'starting point'.

Quiet a bit of air coming up behind the shield,,,

I like projects like this!

Unfortunately, mother nature is NOT providing favorable weather!

Scotrod,

When Bruce received his shield his brackets were adjusted so that his shield was closer to the base than mine (my brackets came assembled to provide the max gap between shield and base). Bruce reconfigured his brackets to match mine and got improved wind protection. Bruce also noted that if he adjusted his 13" shield too low wind protection suffered (space between the bottom of the shield and base is decreased).

I have the 11" shield and adjusted to the right height for me the gap between the bottom of the shield and base is 2-1/2". The bottom of the shield height wise is positioned about 1" above the faring gasket. I can say the wind protection for me on the Interstate at 80+ is very good. My old BaggerShield was not even close.

I think the Madstad is acting somewhat like an airfoil. If you mentally tilt the rear edge of the wing in this diagram (left hand side) up to match the approximate angle of the Madstad the Lo Speed High Pressure stream depicted would be the stream of air passing between the Madstad Base and Shield. The High Speed Low Pressure stream of air is that passing in front of and over the top of the shield. This creates a lower pressure area at the top of the shield which helps to lift the Low Speed High Pressure stream of air between the base and shield up and over your head. Based on my experiments the more air flow between the base and shield the better.

I don't think the Madstad shield really blocks the wind. It simply creates a low pressure area that lifts the stream of air coming off the base up and over your head. I think you want as much air as possible going between the base and shield. That's why I still think the taller base provides an advantage.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Anything's possible! I have no doubt the air coming in 'under' the shield rush's up towards the air coming over the top of the shield, pushing that layer up even further. Choking the lower layer off to 'an unworkable amount' would yield negative results.

Sunday was the "first-ever / just-installed" ride, and I'm not really having much problems with the clean air,,,

I'm sure there will be more experimenting done in the (hopefully) near future!