Post Winter Driving

Thread: Post Winter Driving

Post Winter Driving

Went out for a nice ride yesterday since the weather has been nice for a bit. But I noticed that there is a lot of fine gravel and road salt from the snow and ice crews all over the roads. I took it easy on a few twisty mountain roads because of the build up on each line, and in the middle of the lane. Im sure a few people behind me were frustrated, but not as frustrated as I would have been if I laid it down in a tight turn.

So I guess the point of this is be careful out there. The weather is decent for some of us, but the roads are still crap.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBob View Post
    So I guess the point of this is be careful out there. The weather is decent for some of us, but the roads are still crap.

Thanks for the safety reminder, riding season is almost upon us!
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Between pot holes and the debris on the road it is like riding on an obstacle course.
    Some of the pot holes around Indy are dangerous and could wreck a motorcycle if hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickc View Post
    Between pot holes and the debris on the road it is like riding on an obstacle course.
    Some of the pot holes around Indy are dangerous and could wreck a motorcycle if hit.
    Michigan has some of the worst roads in the country and getting worse..I never ride until after 2 or3 really good rains to get the salt residue and gravel off the roads...Just to dangerous for these old bones!!...Regards

I know this my sound funny to some, but after the winter lay up
    I will go down the street and refresh myself with my bike and fundamental of riding.
    It may be and old guy thing but something I do.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    I will go down the street and refresh myself with my bike and fundamental of riding.
    I'm with you my friend..After 4/5 months of garage time during the winter, I just ride around the block a couple of times before going out of the sub onto main roads..At 79 now, my bones get a little rusty until I get out on the bike again....Hope the brain stays around for a while though....Regards and ride safe

ALWAYS a great idea to bust some rust on your skill set before venturing forth.

There were LOTS of Bike Week riders who had obviously put their bike in the trailer and brought it down - first ride of the year was on the streets of Daytona....

Some things to think about and practice:
    - give the bike a serious preflight
    - let her warm up a bit to get oil where it has fallen from over the winter
    - reacquaint your muscle memory with the friction zone - it shouldn't have moved, but recalibrate your left hand
    - practice slow turns in the friction zone - specifically the mechanics of counter weighting and head turns. Sometimes we get lazy during hibernation and forget that our neck does turn pretty far. You should be able to to do a complete 180 degree turn inside a 20' width (two parking spaces)
    - practice threshold braking from slower speeds, building up to real world speeds. Calibrate your right hand to squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze that lever with a nice consistent pressure - no grabbing!

Above all, HAVE FUN!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    ALWAYS a great idea to bust some rust on your skill set before venturing forth.

There were LOTS of Bike Week riders who had obviously put their bike in the trailer and brought it down - first ride of the year was on the streets of Daytona....

Some things to think about and practice:
    - give the bike a serious preflight
    - let her warm up a bit to get oil where it has fallen from over the winter
    - reacquaint your muscle memory with the friction zone - it shouldn't have moved, but recalibrate your left hand
    - practice slow turns in the friction zone - specifically the mechanics of counter weighting and head turns. Sometimes we get lazy during hibernation and forget that our neck does turn pretty far. You should be able to to do a complete 180 degree turn inside a 20' width (two parking spaces)
    - practice threshold braking from slower speeds, building up to real world speeds. Calibrate your right hand to squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze that lever with a nice consistent pressure - no grabbing!

Above all, HAVE FUN!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Excellent advice.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    Not the only one Shortleg....first clear weekend I go down to the high school parking lot and spend an hour on slow speed stuff before I hit the roads doing some of the refresher Steve describes

Here in Colorado our roads are pretty good but the way it works here is there will be snow then a couple days later a warm up. Tempting to go out but my rule if there is snow anywhere be careful. Those shaded spots my still have snow ice on them.Not really safe for a while even with warm weather Colorado used sand on the roads along with a chemical. The sand can be treacherous.Excellent advice on practicing and warming ourselves up...