F6B 100,000 Mile Club - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: F6B 100,000 Mile Club

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    I think everybody that turns 100K should provide a list of all maintenance done to date. Did anything actually break, or wear out? Did anybody require a valve adjustment? Anything other than normal consumables (tires, oil, brakes). Inquiring minds want to know what lies ahead....
    The only thing that I had to have done unexpectedly was the CPK sensor. I got the turn, turn, turn, no start and the Code 19. Then it started after a short waiting period.
    I alerted my dealer (I was on the road) and they said bring it in. It worked fine the rest of the trip and when I brought it in, they "documented the failure" but didn't change it. When it started acting up again, I took it right to them and they changed it then. That time span was almost a year....lol.
    Looking at Jehu's notes, I had the Traxxion Mega Monty installed so my fork seals, bearings etc were all redone as part of that install and have been maintained by Traxxion since.
    I always use the Engine Cut Off switch (in both directions) so keep it exercised. See Phantom's post on what happens if you don't exercise it and only use the key.
    I've never changed my wheel bearings, and Isleen hasn't seen the "hard mileage" that Jehu's F6BX has seen, but I'm gonna start paying attention there.
    Great idea!
    Cheers,
    Steve

If Jehu can darkside to Alaska, you can at least darkside around Pensacola.

Hey Steve!

I think the wheel bearings being worn out had more to do with me not being careful with the hose and occasional pressure washer. I have ridden in a whole lot of rain. I've also ridden in a lot of calcium chloride slush. ( I hear the X corroding when it's real quiet��). A few thousand miles of off road. Bad bumps. None of this helped the wheel bearings.

My best guess is the after adventure deep cleaning that involved water under pressure contributed the most. During those times often the bike would be layed down on each side. But I really don't know the cause for sure.

Also note that the traditional check of side to side play and spinning the wheel to listen gave no indication of a problem. It was only the gas mileage drop that started me on the hunt for a problem. I just posted a photo in my original post of the rusty bearings.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

115,367 miles on my...

Low beam LED 😎 I hope this belong here 😁
    Attached Images Attached Images
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

BT45R 130/70-18

No complaints here

Next week marks 7 years of ownership of the F6BX. Still riding hard and putting her up wet, although I don’t bump off the rev (rush) limiter like I used to. I’ve now mastered the art of shifting a microsecond before it spoils the fun. 150,515 smiles to date and no regrets riding any of those miles and very thankful to still be upright and in one piece. That’s NOT a lot of miles on this GL 1800 platform BTW. I’ve seen zero decrease in performance, that I can feel. Still delivers the same mpg, and I still keep every gas receipt and check mileage. My mpg depends on my right wrist. 40mpg is still easy to get, same as always. Tear across South Dakota and it can drop to low 30s. I might do Fulley soon, the app that tracks mpg.

Best of all the bike has never left me stranded. Not once, and it’s carried me through a heap of mess. I’m still going off road when the notion hits me. Which it did a few weeks ago when I was out of State. Almost a bad decision. I’ll see if I have the pics of the ruts I left leaving a woods road, it was wet and a lot softer than it looked. I’ve never been afraid of anything when riding and at times I’m almost terrified on reflection.

Almost every motorcycle I’ve stoped to try to help on the side of the road have been Harleys. They do make a good looking bike. There was one Gold Wing I stoped for in 2019 on the Alaska HY. It was a mid 1980s with a bad stator. He said he couldn’t find a Honda stator and had to put a Chinese unit in, well, there you have it.

Happy riding to you all. For you new owners of this marvelous machine, congratulations! You bought a winner. And no matter your miles, relax. Follow the Honda recommendations and enjoy the ride.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

BT45R 130/70-18