Garmins 595 on sale and a new app question

Thread: Garmins 595 on sale and a new app question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    WRT android phone location and Google Maps, my experience is that the phone GPS does use the same satellite signals as a dedicated GPS unit (plus some other BT & WiFi known marks), BUT...the phone needs to have its "over the wavelengths data access" available as well to get the mapping information whereas a dedicated GPS stores all its maps internally.

Solution: downloading maps of an area to your android phone takes memory space, but will not leave you stranded if your provider doesn't have coverage.

STRaider - I experience the same thing when I visit my folks in Addison, but since I started downloading maps of the DFW area, I've had no issues.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    WRT android phone location and Google Maps, my experience is that the phone GPS does use the same satellite signals as a dedicated GPS unit (plus some other BT & WiFi known marks), BUT...the phone needs to have its "over the wavelengths data access" available as well to get the mapping information whereas a dedicated GPS stores all its maps internally.

Solution: downloading maps of an area to your android phone takes memory space, but will not leave you stranded if your provider doesn't have coverage.

STRaider - I experience the same thing when I visit my folks in Addison, but since I started downloading maps of the DFW area, I've had no issues.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Ahhhh, good info. Thank you for sharing. I will give that a try.