Garmins 595 on sale and a new app question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmins 595 on sale and a new app question

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    WRT android phone location and Google Maps, my experience is that the phone GPS does use the same satellite signals as a dedicated GPS unit (plus some other BT & WiFi known marks), BUT...the phone needs to have its "over the wavelengths data access" available as well to get the mapping information whereas a dedicated GPS stores all its maps internally.

Solution: downloading maps of an area to your android phone takes memory space, but will not leave you stranded if your provider doesn't have coverage.

STRaider - I experience the same thing when I visit my folks in Addison, but since I started downloading maps of the DFW area, I've had no issues.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Ahhhh, good info. Thank you for sharing. I will give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I like being correct!
    Especially when a business validates it!!!
    Thank you!

So, I have toyed around with the Roadrunner App (Rides). Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but it allows the user to select multiple waypoints, and the app will then connect the waypoints by creating a route for you.

This is NOT what I want.

What I want is to be to pre-select the roads on my route, road by road. For example, Rt 31 to Harris Rd to Welch Rd to Rt 36 ... etc.

That pre-selected route may be a loop, or may be a destination. Depends on what I feel like doing.

I then want my GPS or phone to give me turn-by-turn directions on my route.

Does the Garmin allow this???
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    The places and roads I prefer to ride, phone gps' and signals get lost. A satellite based gps works much better than a phone gps, imo. I would think the app needs your gps on, I just wonder how well that would work on remote rides?
    Your phone I am pretty sure is satellite based
    Well according to this crowd it is?
    Link: https://traveltips.usatoday.com/gps-...nes-21574.html
    I was born with nothing and shore got a heap of it left

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    So, I have toyed around with the Roadrunner App (Rides). Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but it allows the user to select multiple waypoints, and the app will then connect the waypoints by creating a route for you.

This is NOT what I want.

What I want is to be to pre-select the roads on my route, road by road. For example, Rt 31 to Harris Rd to Welch Rd to Rt 36 ... etc.

That pre-selected route may be a loop, or may be a destination. Depends on what I feel like doing.

I then want my GPS or phone to give me turn-by-turn directions on my route.

Does the Garmin allow this???
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Yes!
    Awesome, thanks. As others have said, you go to a website, select the roads you want to take, and upload that route to the GPS?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Awesome, thanks. As others have said, you go to a website, select the roads you want to take, and upload that route to the GPS?
    No web site for routes, all of mine are custom built. I use Google Maps (earth) and Microsoft Streets and Trips to choose/build the precise route/road I want. All but the smallest of roads have street view possible on Google Maps. Then I manually move that info over to Base Camp then load it to the Zumo. Base Camp is complicated at first but is really good once you learn a few basics. This will give you turn by turn instructions on the roads you chose with all the time info that goes along with it. Very helpful if timing your arrival. Working with the route you are building familiarizes you so you know where you are going. Yes it makes mistakes sometimes but you kinda know your route and can correct. Important when it says you are off route do you want to recaulate, you say "NO", the line will stay and you can work back to your route. I lead a lot of group rides and like to arrive at a known time. Having choices to add or subtract a small loop in your route makes that possible. I use the GPS to assist me to go where I want not choose for me.