Laconia 2019

Thread: Laconia 2019

Laconia 2019

We (my wife and I) have decided to attend the Laconia rally this year. Everyone gave us great ideas for last years sturgis rally and really helped us out so I am soliciting suggestions again.

Our tentative plans are to leave 6/8 and take a few days to get there. This will be her first multi day highway ride as she bought a scout and now has a more appropriate bike than the last few. In years past she has left her bike at home, driven a “chase” vehicle and we rode two up. I hope to mix in some state route/off interstate riding on the way there to break it up a bit for her. Plans are to arrive in Laconia the 11th or 12th and depart on the 16th to be home on the 17th. (Cleveland, Ohio area is home)

Looking for suggestions on multi day route to Laconia. Maybe Cleveland to Allegheny NF then on to the finger lakes area etc? Also things to do around the rally. We are staying in Tuftonboro 12-16. Mt Washington is on the list as well as a possible day trip to the Portland area.

All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

Americade in Lake George ends on 6/9. That area is a great ride. Jump on Rt 8 off the NY Thruway. It will take you east/northeast around Sacandaga and by Lake George. You can take a ferry or bridge over Lake Champlain and catch Rt 4 in VT which will take you right to the Laconia area

I worked in Wolfeboro, beautiful little town and on the opposite side of lake Winnipesauki from Laconia so it’s a good place to stop and stretch on the way around the lake. Lots of history and famous people on that lake. What about bob was filmed there and I believe the Bush’s have a summer cottage on that lake. My uncle lives just outside of town and at one point some famous Hollywood actress had a place up the road from him, I think Cameron Diaz. I now live near the finger lakes which is also a great area along with the prior suggestion of lake George and the adirondacks. I’ve mostly driven through Troy NY and gone rt7 to rt9 into the southern end of Vermont and New Hampshire. Definitely a good ride on the bikes through some old towns and mountains. Ogunquit Maine is a really nice town to see the ocean if you choose to go that far but a lot of great riding in northern New Hampshire in general, reminds me of the Adirondack region.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I think we will save americade for another trip. We will still probably head up that way however I don’t think it would make sense to rush up there for the last day and a half or so of the event.

I purchased a butler motorcycle map of the area and have yet to look through it.

I also am working on a deal for a bunkhouse trailer. Hopefully we will be able to camp our way out and back.

Thanks again.
    When that open road starts to callin’ me,
    There’s something over the hill that I gotta see

~Hank Williams

I was looking at the Butler Maps on Amazon. I would be interested in your opinion as to how helpful they actually are. (I still have my old Thomas Guide I used to use when I first started riding in 1986...)

I bought the “southern Appalachia” map a couple years back and thought it was useful enough to buy another for this region before our trip. I am someone who still loves to sit behind a paper map though, and I feel like most people now prefer to punch an address in a GPS. The maps are very well done. For $14 or so, to me, it is worth it.

Additionally, I write state tourism and/or transportation departments for places I plan to visit, as well as states along the way. Most of them are happy to mail you a free state road map if you request.
    When that open road starts to callin’ me,
    There’s something over the hill that I gotta see

~Hank Williams

Butler Maps.
    I have bought two for Southern Appalachia (one was 'removed' from the table at the Pigeon Forge Rally and not returned to its rightful owner.)
    I bought one for the Arkansas Rally (and it too, suffered a similar fate)

They are INDISPENSIBLE for planning!!!
    And I know that I, and at least two others, feel that way.....lol.
    Cheers,
    Steve