Yamaha Star Eluder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Star Eluder

Yamaha Star Eluder

New Cruiser without the bags. When the Venture line came out, I was a little awe struck. I liked it, or the idea if it, but had some concerns about the weight and it being air cooled and belt driven. Still, I liked the looks of it, the infotainment center, the electric windshield. Only problem was, I had never seen one in person, until today.

I was in a dealer that carries Yamaha and they had three Eluders . I've never been so relieved and disappointed at the same time. I was very disappointed in the finish. The driver dash looked cheap, the plastic for the compartments is thin and brittle, the handlebar and assembly look cheap. This is was quite the disparity to what I thought I had seen in pictures. It looked so polished and finished out so well in pictures and videos. I couldn't believe it was the same bike. Perhaps the Venture has a better finish, but what I saw today was not good. I was relieved that I never, ever had to think about this bike again, so there's that.

Interesting. I have sat on a Venture and an Eluder, and the fit and finish did not stand out to me as good or bad. What I took away was how heavy it was to get off the side stand and how swept back the handlebars are. I can't imagine feeling confident riding either one, but I would love to try one out. Also, and I know it is hard to tell on videos, but they look really slow when watching test riders accelerate in the test ride groups with other bikes.

I did a quick search on Cycle Trader for Ventures last night, and they are almost giving away leftover '18s for $20k.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Interesting. I have sat on a Venture and an Eluder, and the fit and finish did not stand out to me as good or bad. What I took away was how heavy it was to get off the side stand and how swept back the handlebars are. I can't imagine feeling confident riding either one, but I would love to try one out. Also, and I know it is hard to tell on videos, but they look really slow when watching test riders accelerate in the test ride groups with other bikes.

I did a quick search on Cycle Trader for Ventures last night, and they are almost giving away leftover '18s for $20k.
    They would have to give them away for me to even consider one...Too ugly, big, heavy, and just not for me!!!!

If it's like most newer V Twins, I'm bettin' it's a hot ride. Top heavy & super hot, is why I got rid on my '16 Indian Chief, that was right after I took a test ride on a B.

IMO, Yamaha blew it with another V-Twin, air cooled, belt driven clone. Should’ve slapped a Vmax, shaft drive, liquid cooling in it. I haven’t seen one personally, but sounds like the fit and finish is underwhelming.

Hondas and Kawis and Zukis and Yammys...Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    IMO, Yamaha blew it with another V-Twin, air cooled, belt driven clone. Should’ve slapped a Vmax, shaft drive, liquid cooling in it. I haven’t seen one personally, but sounds like the fit and finish is underwhelming.
    Fit and finish were shockingly bad. Not what I was expecting at all.

I find the Eluder quite a good looking bike but when I did a demo ride my legs were very hot. Weird shifting too.
    2013 F6B in black of course

I think it's time the Japanese quit trying to build a big V-twin to compete with Harley Davidson...Good or bad, for the most part they have failed...I had a VTX1800F and it was a really nice bike, but now it is gone into the sunset where most others have gone..Indian is doing fair so far, Victory bit the dust, as have many others..Harley has had the big V-twin market forever, bad bikes or not, and even with slowing sales they will continue to dominate the market in that segment...I am in no way a HD fan and would never buy one, but you have got to give them credit as they seem to survive the ups and downs of the motorcycle industry...Regards and ride safe

It's been a topic on this forum before, and I am sure that Yamaha has a good market research team, but it seems as though they are going after a market in decline with this bike. Every year, the number of buyers with $25k to spend on a big V-twin American cruiser bike drops at least by a little. HD's flat sales are well documented, and even they have finally stuck their toe in a different pool with their new models. Not to mention, that group of buyers is pretty loyal to HD or aspire to own that brand. It seems as though only Indian has had any success tapping into this small, but deep-pocketed buyers.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Opas has this 100% right ,good or bad H-D has this big bike v- twin market locked up.The Japanese can forget about it.It's simply put a cultural thing.Friends ride them and other friends ride Japanese twins and frankly it's unsaid but the Harleys underwell and everyone knows it.Doesn't matter.Gotta be a harley.Now the Indian Scout line against the harley sportster another story.I have the bobber and the harley boys totally respect these bikes.