A long time coming

Thread: A long time coming

A long time coming

Early last year, I started having pain in my left hip. I struggled through until late July and decided to see the Dr. After several appointments and x rays it was determined that I had Bone on bone Arthritis. By that time I had stopped riding because I didn't trust my leg to support the "B". I was able to get with one of the premier hip surgeons in my area and made the appointment for total hip replacement the day after Christmas. I put the bike into storage not knowing when or if I would ride it again. I always knew I would ride something, just not sure it would be the "B". The surgery went well and the healing progressed as expected so today I woke up the 'ol gal and rolled her out of the garage. Geared up, climbed aboard, and set out on my 1st ride in about 9 months. I was out for about 1 1/2 hours and felt pretty good. I could tell some rust had worked its way into my skills, but I'm going out again tomorrow to work on them some more. Today I proved to myself that I can still ride the "B" at 74 yrs. with a new hip.

That's a boy , nothing like getting back on the horse and riding it again. Congrats !

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    Early last year, I started having pain in my left hip. I struggled through until late July and decided to see the Dr. After several appointments and x rays it was determined that I had Bone on bone Arthritis. By that time I had stopped riding because I didn't trust my leg to support the "B". I was able to get with one of the premier hip surgeons in my area and made the appointment for total hip replacement the day after Christmas. I put the bike into storage not knowing when or if I would ride it again. I always knew I would ride something, just not sure it would be the "B". The surgery went well and the healing progressed as expected so today I woke up the 'ol gal and rolled her out of the garage. Geared up, climbed aboard, and set out on my 1st ride in about 9 months. I was out for about 1 1/2 hours and felt pretty good. I could tell some rust had worked its way into my skills, but I'm going out again tomorrow to work on them some more. Today I proved to myself that I can still ride the "B" at 74 yrs. with a new hip.
    That is really great news and I hope you can continue to heal and ride your "B"..My wife has had both knees replaced and also her left hip and is doing fine...I have had a "bout" with Prostate cancer, gone now hopefully, and 4 stents put into my heart systems arteries last year and still ride my bike at 79 years old...I am getting a little concerned about the weight of the thing when backing out of the driveway and parking lots,etc. etc. but so far I hope to ride another season as I went for a short ride last week and all seemed to be okay....Just had a check-up with my Doctor's and got a clean bill of health at this point...Regards and ride safe

Congrats! I am glad you are feeling better. Do what you do for as long as you can!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Great story and we look forward to seeing you on the road!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce