Gas mileage
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage

Gas mileage

So, I used to get, maybe 200 miles, giver or take a few from fill up to gas light trigger. Now I am getting 175 to 180 miles. I have changed out the air filter a couple times through this, a couple sets of tires from regular, to darkside and back to regular. I have around 55k on it. Is it a computer setting? Has anybody else seen this drop in mpg? It is not horrible, but it is a question to ponder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Has it idled a lot? I see you're down south. Up here, mileage drops a bit during colder weather.....just one thought.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

What condition is your battery in, and is it the original? Maybe time to look at replacing the battery.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

I'm thinking you are crossing the nefarious "3150 RPM" threshold whilst riding!
    If you keep RPMs below 3150 (~72mph), you go 200+ miles until the Low Fuel Light comes on. Above that RPM, gas mileage goes down quickly.

Another thing to ponder is your Low Fuel light sensor. I know when mine used to come on, if I stopped to refill it within a mile or two, it would take 5.6 to 5.7 gallons. Now when it comes on (95k on the odo) I am only getting 5.4 gallons in.

I would do that computer reset (including disconnecting the battery) to rule that portion out.
    Then just check your logbook/documentation to see if there are any other trends.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    What condition is your battery in, and is it the original? Maybe time to look at replacing the battery.
    Battery can affect gas mileage? How?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

I get 42 MPG. Hot, cold, fast, slow. No matter what I do I get 42 MPG. That’s all.
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

About 42 here also.

Did you change your windshield? Add wind deflectors.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I'm thinking you are crossing the nefarious "3150 RPM" threshold whilst riding!
    If you keep RPMs below 3150 (~72mph), you go 200+ miles until the Low Fuel Light comes on. Above that RPM, gas mileage goes down quickly.

Another thing to ponder is your Low Fuel light sensor. I know when mine used to come on, if I stopped to refill it within a mile or two, it would take 5.6 to 5.7 gallons. Now when it comes on (95k on the odo) I am only getting 5.4 gallons in.

I would do that computer reset (including disconnecting the battery) to rule that portion out.
    Then just check your logbook/documentation to see if there are any other trends.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Ditto, I wasn't sure of the exact rpm but over 4k and my mileage drops to low thirties. At the rally riding two up I was getting 50+ but we were riding much more sedate than I do solo.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    Ditto, I wasn't sure of the exact rpm but over 4k and my mileage drops to low thirties. At the rally riding two up I was getting 50+ but we were riding much more sedate than I do solo.
    I have been searching for the "bucket RPM" of this motor...
    I.e. "I'm low on fuel and I need max range RPM for 5th gear"
    It's somewhere between 2300 and 2800.

If I should cruise at 85+ (ha!) my mileage goes down to low/mid thirties also.
    I don't have any data for sustained ops at 4000 RPM although that would make for an interesting data gathering expedition....hmmmm.