Gas mileage

Thread: Gas mileage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I'm thinking you are crossing the nefarious "3150 RPM" threshold whilst riding!
    If you keep RPMs below 3150 (~72mph), you go 200+ miles until the Low Fuel Light comes on. Above that RPM, gas mileage goes down quickly.

Another thing to ponder is your Low Fuel light sensor. I know when mine used to come on, if I stopped to refill it within a mile or two, it would take 5.6 to 5.7 gallons. Now when it comes on (95k on the odo) I am only getting 5.4 gallons in.

I would do that computer reset (including disconnecting the battery) to rule that portion out.
    Then just check your logbook/documentation to see if there are any other trends.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Ditto, I wasn't sure of the exact rpm but over 4k and my mileage drops to low thirties. At the rally riding two up I was getting 50+ but we were riding much more sedate than I do solo.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    Ditto, I wasn't sure of the exact rpm but over 4k and my mileage drops to low thirties. At the rally riding two up I was getting 50+ but we were riding much more sedate than I do solo.
    I have been searching for the "bucket RPM" of this motor...
    I.e. "I'm low on fuel and I need max range RPM for 5th gear"
    It's somewhere between 2300 and 2800.

If I should cruise at 85+ (ha!) my mileage goes down to low/mid thirties also.
    I don't have any data for sustained ops at 4000 RPM although that would make for an interesting data gathering expedition....hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I have been searching for the "bucket RPM" of this motor...
    I.e. "I'm low on fuel and I need max range RPM for 5th gear"
    It's somewhere between 2300 and 2800.

If I should cruise at 85+ (ha!) my mileage goes down to low/mid thirties also.
    I don't have any data for sustained ops at 4000 RPM although that would make for an interesting data gathering expedition....hmmmm.
    On my return trip from San Diego I did an Iron Butt and pretty well stayed 85-90 from Bakersfield to Tacoma aside from the nasty bit in the Siskiyou's. I stayed in the low 30's for mpg. It was also cold/wet and generally unpleasant for the last half. It was below 50 degrees almost the entire trip and I seemed to remember hitting 28 degrees when I summited the pass.