Gas mileage - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I have been searching for the "bucket RPM" of this motor...
    I.e. "I'm low on fuel and I need max range RPM for 5th gear"
    It's somewhere between 2300 and 2800.

If I should cruise at 85+ (ha!) my mileage goes down to low/mid thirties also.
    I don't have any data for sustained ops at 4000 RPM although that would make for an interesting data gathering expedition....hmmmm.
    On my return trip from San Diego I did an Iron Butt and pretty well stayed 85-90 from Bakersfield to Tacoma aside from the nasty bit in the Siskiyou's. I stayed in the low 30's for mpg. It was also cold/wet and generally unpleasant for the last half. It was below 50 degrees almost the entire trip and I seemed to remember hitting 28 degrees when I summited the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    Battery can affect gas mileage? How?
    That's a good question. When I read blackmetoc's post I did some reading. It seems that an unhealthy battery can result in poor spark plug performance and a heavier load on the alternator / motor, and poor injector performance to name 3 issues that might result in change to fuel economy. Hell, maybe crappy gas or easing up on the throttle is the answer. But...modern bikes depend almost entirely if not completely on electronics to run efficiently, so these things makes sense to me.

*blackmetoc Let us know what you find your issue to be.
    Last edited by unsub; 04-08-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: responded to the the wrong member. fixed
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

When running the bike runs off the alternator. The battery would not effect gas mileage.

Not sure about what fuel you use, or is available in your area, but up north we have a "winter blend" of fuel, that the government make the fuel companies run, supposedly, for smog or pollution crap. And it does cost us more than the summer blend. Except for the seasonal "holiday price scams".

Quote Originally Posted by Fourks View Post
    When running the bike runs off the alternator. The battery would not effect gas mileage.
    I don’t entirely agree. The battery is still in the electrical loop and running with a bad battery can cause other parts like alternators to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by JWExperience View Post
    I don’t entirely agree. The battery is still in the electrical loop and running with a bad battery can cause other parts like alternators to fail.
    Very true, but the statement is that it affects gas mileage, I suppose that an alternator that is full fielding might increase the load slightly, but not something I would think you could see in your gas mileage.
    Last edited by Fourks; 04-10-2019 at 09:10 AM.

How about spark plugs. How old are yours?
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by Fourks View Post
    Very true, but the statement is that it affects gas mileage, I suppose that an alternator that is full fielding might increase the load slightly, but not something I would think you could see in your gas mileage.
    I think it’s plausible that a weak link in that spark side of the system could cause the plugs to not fire at their full potential and not burn the fuel efficiently.
    Last edited by 53driver; 04-10-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: fix quote

Quote Originally Posted by JWExperience View Post
    I think it’s plausible that a weak link in that spark side of the system could cause the plugs to not fire at their full potential and not burn the fuel efficiently.
    wouldn’t one also have codes for catalytic efficiency or random misfire?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try that. I could put a new battery in. I think the original is the one in there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B