To baby it or no worries - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: To baby it or no worries

These engines are tuned very mildly and have low redlines. My 1986 Concours had a 10,500 RPM redline, and many sport bikes are far higher than that.

Knowing Honda, they left plenty of cushion when they set the RPM limits. Being a 2 valve engine with mild cam timing that favors the low end, I suspect that without a limiter, power would drop off noticeably before any damage would occur.

I do agree with those thoughts F6Dave. It is exelerating to go through the gears with gusto with almost any bike, these F6Bs do it well. Of course if you want to poke along and smell the roses this bike does that well also. I would never suggest you should just get a scooter.
    Last edited by 2wheelsforme; 04-12-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I do agree with those thoughts F6Dave. It is exelerating to go through the gears with gusto with almost any bike, these F6Bs do it well. Of course if you want to poke along and smell the roses this bike does that well also. I would never suggest you should just get a scooter.
    The F6B can ware different clothing depending on one’s mood. That is what I really appreciate. When it’s time to sight see, it does very well. When it’s time to push ours and /or the bikes limits, you may just find both. Hopefully not at the same time. I’ve been asked, told, that I should have replaced my first F6B with a FJR 1300. I explained the 2 most important reason why I didn’t. #1 it’s way to tall for me #2 I will want to use it to it’s full potential. Meaning it’s speed and cornering ability. I already know how that played out on the B. I ride with people that have the FJRs, and mistakes happen to them also. AT much higher speeds.

Here is a good article on the topic of hitting the rev limiter. From the article:
    "Longer answer: Redlining is OK, provided you're doing it in a specific sort of way. Banging off the rev limiter is bad, revving the snot out of an unloaded engine is bad, and riding around with the engine at full song for no reason is... well, not bad, but it's not great. Effectively, it's up to you to know the difference between "use" and "abuse."

"That’s a bit different than the person who just sits there with the throttle wound out, either overspeeding the engine and not upshifting, or perhaps is just banging it repeatedly off the rev limiter. One is a quick trip into the forbidden zone, the other is staying for a meal, asking for a wine list, and starting with a salad."https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...line-my-engine