To baby it or no worries - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To baby it or no worries

The rev limiter is the safety valve so to speak. I’ve run both my Bs on a dyno. After about 4,500 rpm the hp and torque start falling off. The trick is to make your shift so that when completed you are below that fall off rpm as you advance to the next gear in order to pull through the next gear. Ya hitting the rev limiter on a Preformance “pass” is an eye opener. Hitting it when racing may loose you a race. I’m not riding my bike for the next owner.

Hitting the rev limiter is not a big deal, however, if a rider plans to ride the "posted speed limit" or say 5-10 mph above, then we really only need about 3 gears, if we are going to the limiter, otherwise we are apt to get a speeding ticket every day. Especially in a city area.

Kind of what I thought. I bang it in first on my Ultra sometimes because it comes on pretty quick. For some reason not so often on the F6
    First vehicle I ever had with a rev limiter ( didn't know it) was my 85 MR2. Around a long bend just opening up, I accelerated hard, the engine was still pulling and suddenly it went all to hell. "OH F!! I blew it up!! LOL

My uncle bought a ninja 900 like the one Tom cruise rode in top gun(late 80’s) and when they were testing that engine they ran it at redline for like 24 hrs. Bikes these days are designed to run everywhere inside the redline for extended periods. I suspect that the redline has to do with where the power dropoff occurs because as was mentioned before, what’s the point to continue running the revs up if you’re losing power. I’m sure this engine could run at higher rpm but the 6k redline prob keeps it bullet proof and closer to the power band.

Holy S!!! 24 hrs??
    Sometimes depending on what's happening the power might be dropping off but shifting is inconvenient. Not like in a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by JWExperience View Post
    My uncle bought a ninja 900 like the one Tom cruise rode in top gun(late 80’s) and when they were testing that engine they ran it at redline for like 24 hrs. Bikes these days are designed to run everywhere inside the redline for extended periods. I suspect that the redline has to do with where the power dropoff occurs because as was mentioned before, what’s the point to continue running the revs up if you’re losing power. I’m sure this engine could run at higher rpm but the 6k redline prob keeps it bullet proof and closer to the power band.
    Not that I care much, but testing the Ninja 900 at redline for 24 hours seem like a bit of a "stretch" and I would check the facts on that statement....Maybe true but I doubt it really happened.....Regards and ride safe

Unless you hold it against the rev limiter a long time on every shift, I doubt if it'll hurt anything. I hit mine sometimes, I never worry about it.

I played with old Brit sports cars when I was younger. Those tachs had a yellow line and a red line. You could run up to yellow continuously, up to red for a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Not that I care much, but testing the Ninja 900 at redline for 24 hours seem like a bit of a "stretch" and I would check the facts on that statement....Maybe true but I doubt it really happened.....Regards and ride safe
    Does seem like a stretch. How many tanks of gas would that require? Was it on a Dyno? What was the purpose of the test? And what did they do with the bike or motor after the test? I would never buy a motor that had been on a 24 hr redline test. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Does seem like a stretch. How many tanks of gas would that require? Was it on a Dyno? What was the purpose of the test? And what did they do with the bike or motor after the test? I would never buy a motor that had been on a 24 hr redline test. JMO
    Seriously? Manufacturers do torture tests like this for “bragging rights,” testing and sales. In all the infinite wisdom of the google I can’t find the GPz900R test but I recall a great YouTube series on the ford eco boost engine they use in the f150 doing about four different types of torture tests to the same engine. I think they put 100,000 miles on it. Kia tests its engines for 300+hours at full load and above redline for short periods. I’m not talking about joe dirt chocking the front wheel and pinning the throttle on a production bike for a full day. The point is, put oil in the damn bike, do some periodic maintenance and run it.
    https://youtu.be/GNPB3RtHN2M this is the link for the Kia testing video, it’s two minutes. If it doesn’t work, search Kia engine test in YouTube. It’s the first video.
    https://youtu.be/_jCmu6qJXX4 ford link, this video is more in depth and better because I like Ford and Mike Rowe.
    Last edited by JWExperience; 04-10-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Ford link added