To baby it or no worries - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To baby it or no worries

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I guess I'll revert to what I told fellow pilots about the CH-53E helicopter:
    Yes, it can lift 28,000 pounds.
    C'mon we might be wing owners but none of us are that heavy...are we?

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Does seem like a stretch. How many tanks of gas would that require? Was it on a Dyno? What was the purpose of the test? And what did they do with the bike or motor after the test? I would never buy a motor that had been on a 24 hr redline test. JMO
    I don't think the test motors are installed on production models. They're run only in test environments. All kinds of other data is pulled down from them as well. On that note however, as the OP indicates he runs the sh$#% out of his so where does that leave the next guy when/if he sells it? Buyer beware I guess.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

It will be purchased cheap because it will be worn out with high mileage and with all kinds of scratches and scuffs. Resell is unimportant.

It’s YOUR bike. Ride it any way you like.

Quote Originally Posted by JWExperience View Post
    Seriously? Manufacturers do torture tests like this for “bragging rights,” testing and sales. In all the infinite wisdom of the google I can’t find the GPz900R test but I recall a great YouTube series on the ford eco boost engine they use in the f150 doing about four different types of torture tests to the same engine. I think they put 100,000 miles on it. Kia tests its engines for 300+hours at full load and above redline for short periods. I’m not talking about joe dirt chocking the front wheel and pinning the throttle on a production bike for a full day. The point is, put oil in the damn bike, do some periodic maintenance and run it.
    https://youtu.be/GNPB3RtHN2M this is the link for the Kia testing video, it’s two minutes. If it doesn’t work, search Kia engine test in YouTube. It’s the first video.
    https://youtu.be/_jCmu6qJXX4 ford link, this video is more in depth and better because I like Ford and Mike Rowe.
    Ok, good, glad someone else thinks this way too. Maybe it is an upstate NY thing.

We get obsessed with creating the perfect engine operation profile for our bikes. I think it appeals to our engineering/perfectionist urges. What types of oils, warm up regimens, number of milliseconds at redline, and so on.

What is the point? Are we gonna keep these bikes until they have 250,000+ miles on them? If so, great! If not, all you are doing is extending the life of an engine which will likely never get the opportunity to be tapped into because the bike be long gone by then.

As JW says, change the oil once in awhile, follow the manufacturer's recommendations, and enjoy.

If you exist to gain satisfaction and pride from neurotically maintaining your vehicles, enjoy that also!

-----

As for engine longevity tests, I believe them. Not sure if they really tell us anything, though. I remember the 1948 Tucker (also a flat motor) was run around a track at WOT for 5,000 miles at the Indianapolis Speedway in the testing process. And that was in 1948!! I think Opas was there...
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Do you drive your cars the same way? If not, why not? I don't get the mentality that if you are not going to keep the bike for 250,000 miles, be as rough on it as you can. Nobody buys an f6b so you can be the fastest bike on the road, because you are not. Why drive it like that? Why not get the fastest bike on the road if that is the goal? It's like buying a harley and paying for stage 4 engine work. You are trying to make it something it's not. I've never heard anyone say they chose the goldwing (or f6b) because hitting the rev limiter doesn't hurt it. What I have heard it is they chose the goldwing because of the smooth ride, comfort, ability, versatility, etc. Sounds like some here need to be on a hayabusa forum.

I don't think the test motors are installed on production models. They're run only in test environments. All kinds of other data is pulled down from them as well. On that note however, as the OP indicates he runs the sh$#% out of his so where does that leave the next guy when/if he sells it? Buyer beware I guess.[/QUOTE]

Correct. They test the motors, then they throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    Do you drive your cars the same way? If not, why not? I don't get the mentality that if you are not going to keep the bike for 250,000 miles, be as rough on it as you can. Nobody buys an f6b so you can be the fastest bike on the road, because you are not. Why drive it like that? Why not get the fastest bike on the road if that is the goal? It's like buying a harley and paying for stage 4 engine work. You are trying to make it something it's not. I've never heard anyone say they chose the goldwing (or f6b) because hitting the rev limiter doesn't hurt it. What I have heard it is they chose the goldwing because of the smooth ride, comfort, ability, versatility, etc. Sounds like some here need to be on a hayabusa forum.
    No I don't baby my cars either but they are automatics and for transportation where the bike is mostly for fun! Besides who ever said "be rough on it as you can"? Who ever said "be the fastest bike on the road"? You just make this stuff up? I'm too fat to ride a hayabusa but I do like to go above 4500 RPMs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    No I don't baby my cars either but they are automatics and for transportation where the bike is mostly for fun! Besides who ever said "be rough on it as you can"? Who ever said "be the fastest bike on the road"? You just make this stuff up? I'm too fat to ride a hayabusa but I do like to go above 4500 RPMs.
    Riding around trying to hit the rev limiter on a touring bike doesn't sound that fun, or much like a great idea. I ride plenty fast and don't hit the rev limiter. Sounds like you would ride a hyabusa but it wouldn't be a good fit, so you ride as if the f6b were a hyabusa, which would explain the riding style. Most choose the f6b to ride as an f6b. To each his own. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    Riding around trying to hit the rev limiter on a touring bike doesn't sound that fun, or much like a great idea. I ride plenty fast and don't hit the rev limiter. Sounds like you would ride a hyabusa but it wouldn't be a good fit, so you ride as if the f6b were a hyabusa, which would explain the riding style. Most choose the f6b to ride as an f6b. To each his own. Be safe.
    Once again you fabricate a sentence! "Riding around trying to hit the rev limiter" Judgemental a bit don't ya think. I think you might benefit if you go back and read all the post.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Once again you fabricate a sentence! "Riding around trying to hit the rev limiter" Judgemental a bit don't ya think. I think you might benefit if you go back and read all the post.
    No more judgemental than this statement: "If you exist to gain satisfaction and pride from neurotically maintaining your vehicles, enjoy that also!"

My post you responded to wasn't aimed at you specifically, that's why I didn't quote you. I did pull the mileage comment from your post, but was not talking specifically about you, more to the general discussion.