Fog lights On Off - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fog lights On Off

I lead a bunch of group rides and will tell you being followed by someone with fog or driving lights on is annoying. Plus you can't see the rest of the group behind any bike with bright lights. Did not say it was law but just like the strobe lighting is if you wish to be disliked go ahead and run them. You are asked to turn them off on our group rides unless leading that goes for strobe and fog.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I lead a bunch of group rides and will tell you being followed by someone with fog or driving lights on is annoying. Plus you can't see the rest of the group behind any bike with bright lights. Did not say it was law but just like the strobe lighting is if you wish to be disliked go ahead and run them. You are asked to turn them off on our group rides unless leading that goes for strobe and fog.
    I agree about obnoxiously-bright lights!!!! I've done a lot of leading group rides and have never had a problem with the lights in the lower cowl because they are so low to the ground. However, I will not lead if the rider behind me uses his high beams continually (they are so bright and are a real PITA in the rear-view mirrors. Same for really bright driving lights that are mounted higher on the bike. I don't make a big deal of it -- just ask them not to use them behind me. If they insist, then they can lead. I prefer being a tail-gunner anyway!!!!
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

I agree if low and aimed properly then might not be a problem, but few people have taken the time to aim their lights. some even have too high low beams. Besides all we are talking about is having the choice to turn them on and off. Easy to do and not expensive to be able to break the circuit. I like having more options myself. I've even thought about putting in a switch for all the lights so I can run in stealth mode if needed, never know when you might want to be NOT noticed. On a trip once where a bike was not charging so to make his battery last longer we pulled the fuses on all the non running necessary power users.

I have a 2013 non deluxe and installed my own fog lights, and I decided to have mine on all the time. There is no button for the lights when the bike is started up the fog lights come on. These fog lights should be connected to a connection just under the front cowl supplied by mother honda and no other connections should be required unless you want to have a switch to turn them off and on. Mine are fine on all of the time. They see me at night and during the day. If you have any problems let me know. The connections should be there under the front cowl for the lights. f6bglowing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    And now I know. Strobes and/or blinking lights of any sort I understand. Never thought about or had a problem with fogs. They're too low for me to have issues with unless, as another points out, aimed improperly.

Thanks
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

I installed the Honda driving lights back in 14 and to be honest I think I turned them off once.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by Draxsr View Post
    And now I know. Strobes and/or blinking lights of any sort I understand. Never thought about or had a problem with fogs. They're too low for me to have issues with unless, as another points out, aimed improperly.

Thanks
    We need to remember that words mean things....
    Fog lights & "lower driving lights" are almost interchangeable.
    Running lights are what is in the stalks with the turn signals - some of us are running white lights there - the switchbacks.
    Modulating high (or low beams) are when the high (or low beams) are flashing at a Federally authorized rate of 240 ±40 cycles per minute (~4 Hz) between approximately 20% and 100% of full intensity. The headlight operates at full intensity 50-70% of the time.
    Strobes are independent, rapidly flashing lights that are similar to what all the highway construction work pickup trucks have on them - as well as most disco dance halls - and are ILLEGAL to operate when running on public highways unless yo are towing or otherwise involved in DOT operations. While stationary, they do improve your visibility....yes, Isleen is so equipped.
    Cheers,
    Steve

From the Big Federal Book of regulations:
    S7.9.2 A motorcycle manufactured on or after September 1, 2000, shall be equipped with—
    (a) A headlighting system designed to conform to SAE Standard J584 Motorcycle Headlamps April 1964 with the photometric specifications of Figure 32 and the upper beam aimability specifications of paragraph S7.9.3; or
    (b) A headlighting system that conforms to S7.9.1(b).
    S7.9.3 The upper beam of a multiple beam headlamp designed to conform to the photometric requirements of Figure 32 shall be aimed photoelectrically during the photometric test in the manner prescribed in SAE Standard J584 OCT93 Motorcycle Headlamps.

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
    S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:
    (a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 ±40 cycles per minute.
    (b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
    (c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
    (d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
    (e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
    (f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000° Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R–27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
    (g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
    (h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
    S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.
    (b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.
    S7.9.5 Each replaceable bulb headlamp that is designed to meet the photometric requirements of paragraph S7.9.1(a) or paragraph S7.9.2(a) and that is equipped with a light source other than a replaceable light source meet- ing the requirements of paragraph S7.7, shall have the word ‘‘motorcycle’’ permanently marked on the lens in characters not less than 0.114 in. (3 mm) in height.
    Last edited by 53driver; 04-15-2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added Federal regulations...
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Nice post. Thanks 53!
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Draxsr View Post
    Nice post. Thanks 53!
    I've had to explain the modulators and the strobes to more than one LEO....lol