Dash Cam Location

Thread: Dash Cam Location

Dash Cam Location

I just bought a front and rear facing dash cam. My problem is where to locate the DVR? Our seats aren't that easily removed. My front left cubby is full (Satellite radio). The only other place would be in a saddlebag but how do I get the four wires in? I tried the left bag with the grommet for the USB wire but there are too many wires to fit. That leaves drilling a hole in a saddlebag for the wires. Has anyone drilled their sagglebags to add an electrical accessory? If so, where is the best spot to drill?
    Thanks

If you don't plan on accessing it very often, I believe it will fit under the rt side fairing cover.

Yeah I looked at the right side. It is awful tight in there. I'm afraid that I'll loose the panel as I'm bombing down the highway with all the removing and re-installing of the panel. There are horror stories of that happening already.

If you look in the left saddlebag -- on the back wall closest to the rear tire, toward the front and about half way up -- you'll see a factory circle 'imprint' that's about 1" diameter. With the seat off you'll see approx where it comes thru and you'll realize it is a safe place to drill (carefully, slowly) a 1" hole for grommet and wires.
    That's where my dvr for my dual camera system resides. Makes it easy to pull SanDisk for pic retrieval.
    The hard part was routing the cable from front of bike to the saddlebag!

Thanks Gadgeteer, that is definitely an option. I removed the seat and the rear shelter and it looks like there is a spot on top of the left saddlebag just rear of the saddlebag latch. I removed the upper guard that covers the latch mechanisms on the inside top of the saddlebag and it looks clear inside there. A half inch hole should be all I need for all 5 wires and then seal them in with hot glue. Being on top of the saddlebag there should be less likelihood of leaks.

The main reason I used Honda's 'pre-designated' hole location was because appeared to be high enough and far enough toward the front of the bike to be sorta weather resistant. Just returned from a 3000 mile round trip to the Florida Keys and, of course, experienced several occasions of riding in the rain... no leaks!

I installed the DVR in the center cubby. Fabricated a bracket out of flat aluminum stock so I still have storage underneath.

DVR_Location.JPG

Gadgeteer, I decided to use the location on the top of the saddlebag under the shelter. I sed hot glue to seal the wires in the hole. I suppose silicone would have worked too.
    Okf6b, very nice. I have plans for that location. I want to move my sat radio and radar detector there as soon as I get my 3D printed glovebox lid printed.

3D printed glove box lid? Whatcha doin

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Nut View Post
    I just bought a front and rear facing dash cam. My problem is where to locate the DVR? Our seats aren't that easily removed. My front left cubby is full (Satellite radio). The only other place would be in a saddlebag but how do I get the four wires in? I tried the left bag with the grommet for the USB wire but there are too many wires to fit. That leaves drilling a hole in a saddlebag for the wires. Has anyone drilled their sagglebags to add an electrical accessory? If so, where is the best spot to drill?
    Thanks
    I put the INNOVV DVR/screen in my right side saddlebag. I did have to drill holes in the bag but it's keeps it weatherproof for the most part.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius