Another reason I'll be leaving NY soon - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another reason I'll be leaving NY soon

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Just totally unbelievable. Read the last line.

"New York's Higher Education Committee has blocked legislation that would have offered discounted college tuition, room and board for veterans' families.

The proposal would apply to dependents of military service members who died in the line of duty and attend SUNY or CUNY institutions.

On Tuesday, the committee voted 15-11 to hold the bill, ultimately ensuring the bill will not make it to the Assembly floor.

"It's truly a disservice to this state and, most importantly, our brave veterans that power brokers in Albany kill truly bipartisan legislation with noble causes," Bill Sponsor Assemblyman Steve Hawley (R,C,I-Batavia) said. "Inmates get Ipads, parolees get pardons and criminal illegals get lawyers but the Assembly Majority cries broke when it comes to our valiant veterans – mindboggling."

Last week, New York lawmakers passed a $27 million bill to provide tuition aid for undocumented immigrants."
    Sounds like that new legislator "A.O.C., has got the states politicians, kissing her backside!

Our left wing governor just stood up and did the right thing. He overruled the assembly and had the law passed. I am not a big fan of his, but have to give him props on this one.
    "There is now a new question," stated Governor Andrew Cuomo. "As to whether those benefits should be expanded to cover those who are lost or disabled while performing their military duties while either in a combat zone or not. My answer is, of course, yes they should."

To do this, the governor is expanding an existing program that offers free tuition for family members of those in the military killed while out on the battlefield or in training. It is now expanded to families of any service members killed, lost, or disabled while preforming any military duty."

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Our left wing governor just stood up and did the right thing. He overruled the assembly and had the law passed. I am not a big fan of his, but have to give him props on this one.
    "There is now a new question," stated Governor Andrew Cuomo. "As to whether those benefits should be expanded to cover those who are lost or disabled while performing their military duties while either in a combat zone or not. My answer is, of course, yes they should."

To do this, the governor is expanding an existing program that offers free tuition for family members of those in the military killed while out on the battlefield or in training. It is now expanded to families of any service members killed, lost, or disabled while preforming any military duty."
    I don't follow N.Y. politics closely, but if what you say is true, then the Governor did well, by helping Vets.

Hopefully his ear was burning as it should. Every so often they slip up and do the right thing. Good for the vets and family members it affects there.