Finally happened
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally happened

Finally happened

Was out riding my 2013 F6B last week. Broad daylight and I'm sitting at a stoplight behind 6 cars when BLAM, a car hits me from behind. The bikes rear end goes left and the front goes right, and I'm sliding down the road on the right side for about 15 feet. Got banged up on my left leg where the footpeg hit me and my right shoulder got stretched trying to keep the bike from going down.
    I have a Wig Wag brake light and a Federal Signal LED Flasher on the back so people can see me. Didn't do any good with this 83 year old woman driving home from visiting her husband in the nursing home.
    Witnesses say that she was doing 20 MPH when she hit me. The bike had its left rear saddlebag destroyed and the battery cover busted up. The bike is laying on its right side when the cops ask if I want a flatbed to haul it. I ask them to stand it up to see what else is damaged. We were all amazed to see the right side didn't even have a scratch, even after sliding down the road on the crash bars. The crash bars are scratched of course but nothing else touched the ground. AMAZING!
    Anyway, the bike started up without any trouble and even all the rear lights and signals still worked. I had some bungee cords, so I gathered up the saddlebag parts and lid and bungeed them on the bike. Actually road it home. Dropped the bike at the dealers a couple of day later to see what the damage is.
    Now I am waiting to see if the frame or swing arm is bent. If it is, the dealer said it would be a total loss. I really love this bike and am hoping that the only damage is tupperware.
    I am very lucky to be able to walk away from this accident but I'm hoping my bike is just as lucky. I only have 24,000 miles on her.
    Will let you know how this ends.......

Glad your ok. Sucks.

Really glad you weren't badly hurt. As you are probably aware it doesn't take a lot of damage for insurance companies to total a bike. The biggest problem is the insurance companies are afraid of is undetected damage that could be a safety hazard so they write the bike off and send you a check.

Good luck and remember the main thing is you are OK.
    Az wingrider

Glad you are not hurt badly and hopefully things will work out in your favor...Accidents like the one you had are hard to detect and understand why...My worst fear is getting hit from the rear or some "idiot" on a cell phohe running a red light...Recover soon and be well....

Very happy to hear you were not hurt badly. Hope the bike turns out okay.

HHmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm bettin' she said, "I didn't see him."
    Take care of all your injuries. Give some though to seeing a lawyer. Sometimes those injuries will haunt you forever.
    My Daughter (lives in HI.) got T boned, going to work on her scooter, when a guy texting, ran a red light at 30-40 mph. Her shoulder injuries will be hurting her the rest of her life. She's got the best MC lawyer in HI.

Must have been the post coital bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    That's pretty damn funny!
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    Eeeeewwwwwww..............
    I'm going to check the police report to see if they checked her for that. Kinda like a breathalyzer????

Quote Originally Posted by billsim View Post
    Was out riding my 2013 F6B last week. Broad daylight and I'm sitting at a stoplight behind 6 cars when BLAM, a car hits me from behind. The bikes rear end goes left and the front goes right, and I'm sliding down the road on the right side for about 15 feet. Got banged up on my left leg where the footpeg hit me and my right shoulder got stretched trying to keep the bike from going down.
    I have a Wig Wag brake light and a Federal Signal LED Flasher on the back so people can see me. Didn't do any good with this 83 year old woman driving home from visiting her husband in the nursing home.
    Witnesses say that she was doing 20 MPH when she hit me. The bike had its left rear saddlebag destroyed and the battery cover busted up. The bike is laying on its right side when the cops ask if I want a flatbed to haul it. I ask them to stand it up to see what else is damaged. We were all amazed to see the right side didn't even have a scratch, even after sliding down the road on the crash bars. The crash bars are scratched of course but nothing else touched the ground. AMAZING!
    Anyway, the bike started up without any trouble and even all the rear lights and signals still worked. I had some bungee cords, so I gathered up the saddlebag parts and lid and bungeed them on the bike. Actually road it home. Dropped the bike at the dealers a couple of day later to see what the damage is.
    Now I am waiting to see if the frame or swing arm is bent. If it is, the dealer said it would be a total loss. I really love this bike and am hoping that the only damage is tupperware.
    I am very lucky to be able to walk away from this accident but I'm hoping my bike is just as lucky. I only have 24,000 miles on her.
    Will let you know how this ends.......
    I know the feeling, personally, thankfully because of the beefiness of this bike it took a lot of the brunt of the impact. At least you were able to ride it home. Typical defense of the driver that hit you in the rear is "He cut in front of me at the last minute" but hopefully she will have some integrity. Hope all works out and they can patch up your baby and as long as you are OK.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius