Finally happened - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally happened

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    That may be to your detriment, the vehicle stopped in front of you, and the front of your bike, actually acts as a crunch zone, like in my case. Angling to either side may push you, when hit from behind, into traffic pulling up to that light on either side, or in my case, an HOV lane which would have crushed me.
    Point taken. I always point the bike towards the shoulder. I have to be careful because too much of an angle to the car in front of me results in being unable to use the mirrors to monitor traffic coming up from behind. I do remember watching your accident video on YouTube.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Your looking at 2k at least just in parts, in the end they will probably total it. Glad your injuries were not as severe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://hondaf6b.com/image.php?u=3965&type=sigpic&dateline=1471132754

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I watch MCRider videos and he gave some interesting advice when waiting at a stoplight with traffic approaching from behind. He says to leave the bike in 1st, pull up to vehicle in front of you at an angle that provides an escape route to the shoulder or to the left. Positioning yourself this way also increases the bike's visibility. I have been doing this since I heard this advice in one of his videos.
    I have done this practice for quite a few years now.I stay to one side of the lane or other,first gear and watching until a car or two is stopped behind me. It saved me from being rear ended as I spotted the truck coming in too fast while I was stopped behind cars at a red light. Caught him just in time to be able to scoot between the cars. He hit the car that was in front of me.Drunk got out saying how sorry he was. I decided it best I just leave ..Be careful out there and I'm glad you are not too badly hurt and hope your bike can be repaired or replaced easily..

I have a mod that initially flashes the brake light a few times upon applying the brakes. I've gotten in the habit of applying the brakes off and on repeatedly if I'm sitting still in traffic. I figure the repeated flashing may stand out to an otherwise brain dead commuter coming up behind me... just habit now.

Finally got my bike fixed after 2 months. The local dealer where I bought it verified that the damage was all cosmetic and asked if I wanted it repaired or totaled since it could go either way. Told them I wanted this bike fixed. He then sends the insurance company an estimate for 8K+. The insurance company comes back and says totaled since they valued it at 11K.
    I asked the dealer if they knew what the bike is valued at so that he could be sure that he was under that threshold. They claimed that they had no idea what the bike is worth but they would sell me a 2017 F6B base that was a leftover for 14.5K.
    Needless to say they were more interested in a new sale that fixing my bike.
    Told them I was taking it somewhere else for a quote. They then tell me that I have to pay them $200.00 for the quote to get my bike!
    The damage to the bike was the left saddlebag and door, batter cover, rear cover (licence plate area) and top panel behind the seat. With a roll of Gorilla tape, I rode the bike from the dealer to a custom paint shop that was recommended by a friend. He quotes 4K to do all the work. The insurance company was almost as happy as I was and they say go ahead and fix it.
    The bike was in his shop 3 days before being completed.
    My shoulder has healed pretty much on it's own over these 2 months, so I am happily riding again.
    Man, I love this bike but I hate that ******* dealer (whose name is on the licence plate frame).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by billsim; 06-10-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billsim View Post
    man, i love this bike but i hate that ******* dealer (whose name is on the licence plate frame, in this earlier picture of the bike. I've since taken that frame off, pi**ed on it, and threw it into a fire.).
    fify

Ive been to that dealer. I walked the show room floor for 30 minuets, nobody came, or said a word and I walked by their dest a few times.
    Wasn't gonna buy anything but still.Nothing.
    When I left, I walked over to a new wing parked outside, with the owner and the service manager looking at the tire pressure system. It wasn't working.
    The service guy gave me some serious looks, like, what you doin here,. Mind your own business.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    Ive been to that dealer. I walked the show room floor for 30 minuets, nobody came, or said a word and I walked by their dest a few times.
    Wasn't gonna buy anything but still.Nothing.
    When I left, I walked over to a new wing parked outside, with the owner and the service manager looking at the tire pressure system. It wasn't working.
    The service guy gave me some serious looks, like, what you doin here,. Mind your own business.
    The service manager seems to be the issue. Must be a relative of the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
    fify
    Great idea!
    I guess I need a new licence frame....

Quote Originally Posted by grendl View Post
    I have done this practice for quite a few years now.I stay to one side of the lane or other,first gear and watching until a car or two is stopped behind me. It saved me from being rear ended as I spotted the truck coming in too fast while I was stopped behind cars at a red light. Caught him just in time to be able to scoot between the cars. He hit the car that was in front of me.Drunk got out saying how sorry he was. I decided it best I just leave ..Be careful out there and I'm glad you are not too badly hurt and hope your bike can be repaired or replaced easily..
    Absolutely keep your head on a swivel and constantly check those mirrors when coming to and stopping. Leave yourself an opening, and ride with the mindset that every cager is out to get you. As a former police motorcycle officer, I cannot tell you how many times I work crashes where the cager was DWHUA. I also had my share of them nearly hitting me. Can't say it often enough, always ride alert.
    Defiant77
    Tampa Bay