Leaving California......... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Leaving California.........

So Larry , maybe you should have to present a "paid" Real Estate tax bill at the polls and then be issued a correct ballot. The Constitution declares it unlawful for Congress to impose anything on a constituent that it does not impose upon themselves. So why should your fellow man be able to do so?? And like you I'm not trying to argue. And my kids have been out of public schools for 20 years. I don't really mind paying a fair tax. But look at the millions of renter's that don't pay any school tax and have four or more kids that are a burden on the "taxpayer". I guess what I'm saying is that those parents should help "share" the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    So Larry , maybe you should have to present a "paid" Real Estate tax bill at the polls and then be issued a correct ballot. The Constitution declares it unlawful for Congress to impose anything on a constituent that it does not impose upon themselves. So why should your fellow man be able to do so?? And like you I'm not trying to argue. And my kids have been out of public schools for 20 years. I don't really mind paying a fair tax. But look at the millions of renter's that don't pay any school tax and have four or more kids that are a burden on the "taxpayer". I guess what I'm saying is that those parents should help "share" the load.
    That is a fair point. However, the apartment owner(s) pay property taxes that do include taxes for the schools, so, indirectly the renters are paying at least some of their rent to cover that. The latest thing where I live is that the school district now gets just over 1% of the sales tax collected. It was increased specifically for the local school district, so everyone (including visitors) who make purchases are contributing to the school district. Taxes are so convoluted!!!
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

It may be an unpopular opinion, but if you cant afford to live in a particular area, then move. Im not calling anyone out or using anyone here as an example. So if what Im about to write sounds familiar, it wasnt on purpose.

When I was young, my parents moved the family out of Massachusetts because dad was a mechanic, and mom worked at a grocery. Got to the point that they couldnt afford it anymore, so we moved to the hills of Va. And that was way before super expensive cable packages, cell phones, 8 year car loads, ect ect. I remember PB&Js with a glass a milk or something called American Chop Suey (hamburger and elbow macaroni with a can or tomato sauce) was the main menu for I dont know how many meals.

Sure you can try to "win" and earn more and try to save a buck here and there, and find out what your willing to put up with in your area. But my parents found a place that still needed a Mechanic and a Cashier. Pay was decent for the area, cost of living was much lower, and I got to join a baseball team and have my own glove and bat. That was awesome back then.

So I always hear about people who cant afford to move, or they dont want to move away from their support group, ect ect ect. But if you cant afford your area, and you have actually reduced every bill you can think of, then how can you afford to Not move? Maybe peoples support group is what is holding people back?

I dont know, I know that if times are hard, I cut way back on spending and turtle up. And if gets to the point where I can afford what I have, then I'll sell everything but the car and clothes and head to cheaper pastures. (Which is really only 10 miles from me, blue ridge hillbilly country and all that)

Bob you bring up a good point. A lot of people live beyond their means. I'm one that doesn't. But the American way is to be overextended. I agree. If you can't afford it , move or don't buy it.

You don't need to listen to Fox News to know how bad California is, just read the LA times. It sounds to me like you might be a bit sensitive about the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Not trying to single you out 53 , we have been talking about this subject at the local old farts hangout. I believe this voting thing is a little too free. Why should an apartment dweller be allowed to vote on my property taxes. In fact that is allowing a person that this does not affect to impose a tax on me. Wife and I was thinking about selling and building a new smaller house. Then we found out that real estate taxes would be three times higher than what we pay now. I'll stay in my old house for that. The thousands of renter's in my county pass every school tax that is.put on the ballot. Every tax for law enforcement , and every tax for the ambulance district. These entities are the biggest wasters of my tax dollars.
    No worries mate...I LOVE being singled out. The more of my posts you read, the sooner you'll figure that out.
    Bring it on, anytime!
    Cheers mate!

The problem is, leftists vote in leftist policies, hose up their states, then emigrate to another state that is more free, has less regulations, allows business to operate w/o driving them out and encourages the Constitutional constraints afforded to the citizens to keep government out of their personal lives. THEN, they vote the same way all over again. I want gays to be able to marry, smoke pot and carry their firearms w/o government involvement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

I got a pleasant surprise at breakfast this morning. I found out how some of those “freebies” get paid for. Free Healthcare, Free College, subsidized housing, free phones, free this and free that. Incredible how many people believe in the concept of a “free lunch”. Once both my kids graduate from college, I’m going to have to find a state with less taxes, and smaller government. Between earthquakes and the progressives, it’s just a matter of time before this state breaks off and falls into the ocean. This next election will be a critical point in the history of our nation.

9C69D7A6-3A7B-4CEF-B732-556D021907CC.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Yea, property taxes are a very sore subject with me too. Why do I have to pay school taxes now when all my children finished school 30+ years ago and don't even live in this state?
    I'll see your bitch and raise you.

No kids ever.
    My school taxes this year will be $9500, or within pissing distance of $800 a MONTH!

My idea has always been:

- a base tax for everyone, and make it based on something that is quasi ability to pay, not the value of my freaking house
    - if you have kids in school, you pay a user fee, until the kid graduates, or turns 18, whichever comes later, after which the user fee goes away

The beauty of that plan is the folks that are causing the need for a service are paying more for that service, while we all share some of the pain for educating the next generation of burger flippers.

Logical, but with absolutely no chance of this happening; more breeders than childless freaks like me.