F6B VS New Golding DCT in a race
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: F6B VS New Golding DCT in a race

Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina

F6B VS New Golding DCT in a race

Does anyone have any real time experience with the F6B and the 2018 Honda Goldwing DCT as in direct head to head performance or racing each other? I know the F6B has more HP and Torque but it's also heavier and the DCT transmission on the new wing makes shifting absolutely critical on the F6B during a race.

Any fist hand knowlede?

I thought I read that the new 1833 cc engine made slightly more power than our 1832 cc versions. It should with the 4 valve heads. With better breathing I have to wonder why Honda didn't tune the new engine to be more competitive with the K1600.

With similar power, lighter weight, and 2 more gears the new Wing should outrun an F6B, but I haven't seen any comparisons.

Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina
    I read 97 HP and 108 ft lbs of torque for 2018 model. Its also speed limited to 112 mph. As far as I understand. Am I wrong?

I saw a HP/Torque graph comparing the 2 engines, and the 1833 was slightly higher throughout the rev range. I can't remember where I saw it, but it was over a year ago when the new bike just hit the showrooms.

As for the limiter, I've read that too. I'm amazed that Honda set it so low. I think the K1600 has a limit on the LT model, but the GT has a higher limit or none at all.

This may be where I saw the power comparison. It's an article on Motorcycle.com that claims the new engine beats the old one. They included a chart, and it looks to me like the engines are pretty close except at the top end.

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufactu...wing-tour.html

Honda claims 118 hp for F6B and 125 hp for the new bike. Torque if I recall correctly was 123 vs 125.

I test rode the new DCT alongside a full wing. I walked away from it at will, no matter how hard he tried to keep up. I didn't get up to the speed limiter, so I'm assuming that would eventually meter out over distance. I don't see any way a B could keep up shifting through the gears.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I test rode the new DCT alongside a full wing. I walked away from it at will, no matter how hard he tried to keep up. I didn't get up to the speed limiter, so I'm assuming that would eventually meter out over distance. I don't see any way a B could keep up shifting through the gears.

Jason
    This is the outcome I would expect. Slightly more power and a lot less weight ... plus more gears in the manual and DCT gearbox allows the 1833 to stay closer to the peak power range.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I saw a HP/Torque graph comparing the 2 engines, and the 1833 was slightly higher throughout the rev range. I can't remember where I saw it, but it was over a year ago when the new bike just hit the showrooms.

As for the limiter, I've read that too. I'm amazed that Honda set it so low. I think the K1600 has a limit on the LT model, but the GT has a higher limit or none at all.
    Only the K1600 Grand America (bagger with the top case) is speed limited. Top end on the GTL and GT is over 130.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    This is the outcome I would expect. Slightly more power and a lot less weight ... plus more gears in the manual and DCT gearbox allows the 1833 to stay closer to the peak power range.
    All true, Vstar. Not to mention, if you've never ridden or driven with a dct, it's entirely different than a torque converter. There is no discernible drop in torque as it grabs the next gear, which, like abs, is so much faster than a human can do manually. So by the time the Wing was into a shift, the DCT was already halfway through to the next gear up, and so on.

Jason