F6B VS New Golding DCT in a race - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: F6B VS New Golding DCT in a race

A motorcycle that seems fast today may not feel as fast a few years from now. I remember when the original Valkyrie first hit showrooms in 1996. The 1520 cc engine seemed enormous, and the Valk could outrun any cruiser of the day. When the Honda introduced the GL1800 in late 2000, reviews raved about how it handled, accelerated, and braked as well as many sport bikes. It was the king of touring, until the K1600 came along.

Nearly all of today's vehicles have impressive performance. Family sedans can turn faster lap times than serious sports cars from a few decades ago. Even Ford's F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost will out-accelerate some motorcycles. These are very good times for those of us who like motorcycles and other vehicles. Let's hope they don't all get banned by some overzealous green legislation, leaving us to look back on today as a golden age.

I'm no expert on racing. But, when shifting hard, I typically lurch forward when shifting into the next gear. That lurch may help compensate for the time it takes to shift. I have read that some don't even let off of the throttle during a shift.

The DCT on the other hand is very smooth. No extra lurch forward. So, I would think it is a trade off and we are splitting hairs.

With that said, the new bike being lighter with very similar power has to have an advantage.
    Albuquerque, NM

It’ll be the 1833 until 112 mph. The 1833 will not be insight of the 1832 at 125 mph. 1/8or 1/4 mile the 1833 will have it won. Out on the open road the 1833 will be taking a coffee break at a 112.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    A motorcycle that seems fast today may not feel as fast a few years from now. I remember when the original Valkyrie first hit showrooms in 1996. The 1520 cc engine seemed enormous, and the Valk could outrun any cruiser of the day. When the Honda introduced the GL1800 in late 2000, reviews raved about how it handled, accelerated, and braked as well as many sport bikes. It was the king of touring, until the K1600 came along.

Nearly all of today's vehicles have impressive performance. Family sedans can turn faster lap times than serious sports cars from a few decades ago. Even Ford's F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost will out-accelerate some motorcycles. These are very good times for those of us who like motorcycles and other vehicles. Let's hope they don't all get banned by some overzealous green legislation, leaving us to look back on today as a golden age.
    So true. I remember seeing car ads from the 80s with manufacturers bragging about the acceleration of one of their sports cars or souped-up models. I think I saw a Camaro ad with the 5.0 HO V8 that ran 0-60 in 9 seconds. My wife's Kia Sorento would be car lengths ahead of that Camaro in a 1/4 mile run.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Automatics do not always beat manual shift. Depends on the rider. And yes, a good rider can shift as fast as an automatic.
    There is a transition time between gears on both.
    I for one, won't believe anything till I see a side by side race, with the riders switching bikes.
    I cant see the auto doing as good a hole shot as the creeper first gear in the manual shift.
    For what its worth,,,, My 2 cants.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I thought I read that the new 1833 cc engine made slightly more power than our 1832 cc versions. It should with the 4 valve heads. With better breathing I have to wonder why Honda didn't tune the new engine to be more competitive with the K1600.

With similar power, lighter weight, and 2 more gears the new Wing should outrun an F6B, but I haven't seen any comparisons.
    I wouldn't bet my paycheck on that.

No first hand knowledge yet but I'm trying. I think the B will handle the 1833 just fine.

I've ridden the DCT twice now.
    Of the 4 modes, anything besides Sport is just silly.

One important thing to remember, and this is pure physics:
    The DCT is just that - TWO clutches.
    Are two quicker than one? Yes, there is a milli-second between when Clutch 1 transfers duties to Clutch 2, but that's it. Literally a fraction of a second with no loss of power to the rear wheel
    I'm really good at shifting Isleen very quickly, but I'm not sure I can shift as fast I witnessed on a DCT.
    Where the F6B will succeed, IMHO, is that the DCT, even in sport mode, didn't wind up to the rev limiter in 1st & 2d gears as fast as the F6B. Computer controlled I suppose.
    SO yes, two riders, then switching bikes.

I'm waiting.......

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post

Are two quicker than one? Yes, there is a milli-second between when Clutch 1 transfers duties to Clutch 2, but that's it. Literally a fraction of a second with no loss of power to the rear wheel
    I'm really good at shifting Isleen very quickly, but I'm not sure I can shift as fast I witnessed on a DCT.
    Where the F6B will succeed, IMHO, is that the DCT, even in sport mode, didn't wind up to the rev limiter in 1st & 2d gears as fast as the F6B. Computer controlled I suppose.

I'm waiting.......
    Is there a manual mode? If so, you could probably hold it in gear a bit longer. From the HP charts I've seen, the 4 valve 1833 has a significant power advantage over the 1832 at higher revs, so manually shifting could take advantage of that.

I'm not sure everyone realizes how much a dual clutch transmission differs from a typical auto with planetary gears and a torque converter. The DCT is really more like a pair of manual gearboxes, one with even and the other with odd numbered gears. The clutches let the engine swap between the two trannys, with the next ratio pre-selected by the computer. There's none of the power loss of a typical 'slush-box', and the shifts are essentially instantaneous. The design's been around for decades, but never saw widespread use until Formula One cars starting using it.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post

I'm waiting.......
    You go buy one or borrow one 53 and I'll meet you halfway between Ohio and Florida.