Lights on for safety
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights on for safety

Lights on for safety

We just had a car/motorcycle crash close by where the car pulled out in front of the motorcycle. Every time I read about this o think about adding more lights to my B. My fog lights are always on and might start riding with the brights on. Anyone do that? Or any easy way to add more lights? I know the law doesn’t allow it but I’d rather be seen.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

I ride with my LED bright lights on with the fog lights.

I also think more lights on the bike make it safer. The visibility of our bikes is definitely a factor in a large number of the bike versus car collisions. In addition to the headlights which are LEDs, the fog lights in the lower fairing and the marker lights in the mirrors I have some Clearwater Darlas mounted on brackets below the mirrors. Clearwater is the only company I am aware of that makes LEDs with a rheostat. With the rheostat turned all the way down the lights are at 20% brightness which is very visible but does not blind on coming drivers. I also have Hyperlight LED brake lights which flash 5 times and then stay on bright when I apply the brakes.

With the amount of lights I have I don't think saying they didn't see me is viable argument. I still ride very defensively and act like I think all the cagers are out to get me..

Ride safe
    Az wingrider

Isleen's "standard" view from a cage.
    That's a Whelen white LED bar attached to the fork plastic shroud and it turns with the forks.
    Everything else is SoCal LED lighting.
    Her high beams have a Kisan modulator that I'll run when I'm NOT in traffic, but rather on long country roads so people coming the other way who think they can safely pass think twice and just wait.
    Running the modulator in dense traffic just really irritates people - that's why the modulator is not on my low beams.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I ride with all my lights on. I have the modulating headlights on my high beams. I don't care if I piss people off with them I know they have saved me many times. I live in SoCal so there are many bad drivers here. I also have a flashing LED brake light I put on and it stays on all the time. I can also change the pattern or have it stay on or stay off if I like. I know it works because a lot of the time I notice that some cars stay back farther from me at stop lights or back off while tail gating. Here is the link if your interested. I have also converted all my lights to LEDs as well. https://www.speedtechlights.com/LED-...e-Mount-Lights

Ride safe everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    I ride with all my lights on. I have the modulating headlights on my high beams. I don't care if I piss people off with them I know they have saved me many times. I live in SoCal so there are many bad drivers here. I also have a flashing LED brake light I put on and it stays on all the time. I can also change the pattern or have it stay on or stay off if I like. I know it works because a lot of the time I notice that some cars stay back farther from me at stop lights or back off while tail gating. Here is the link if your interested. I have also converted all my lights to LEDs as well. https://www.speedtechlights.com/LED-...e-Mount-Lights

Ride safe everyone.
    If I rode in SoCal - I'd probably have my modulators on too!

What brand head light modulator are you all using and is the install fairly easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickc View Post
    What brand head light modulator are you all using and is the install fairly easy?
    Mine is the Kisan.
    Here is the link with installation video. Yes, pretty easy unless you have XXXL hands.
    Make sure you get the correct modulator for LEDs vs. normal.
    The search engine on their website is a bit quirky - I just called them, told them what I had and what I wanted.
    https://kisantech.com/pathblazer.html

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by 53driver; 04-23-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Thanks Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickc View Post
    Thanks Steve.
    My pleasure!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD