Anyone do much riding on Can Am?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone do much riding on Can Am?

Anyone do much riding on Can Am?

Totaled my 2016 F6BD late last summer and have not ridden since then. Fully recovered from broken thumb and multiple scrapes and bruises as a result of the wreck. Age at mid 60's I have always thought that a three wheeler might someday appeal to me as my bikes seem to feel heavier. I miss riding a lot and wonder what you guys think of the three wheel vehicles (not sure they are called motorcycles?). F6BD by far the best bike I have ever owned or ridden!

The visuals of the Can Am appeals to me more than a two wheel in rear trike or even the Slingshot. Anything you care to share about your experience, riding differences pros or cons?

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    Totaled my 2016 F6BD late last summer and have not ridden since then. Fully recovered from broken thumb and multiple scrapes and bruises as a result of the wreck. Age at mid 60's I have always thought that a three wheeler might someday appeal to me as my bikes seem to feel heavier. I miss riding a lot and wonder what you guys think of the three wheel vehicles (not sure they are called motorcycles?). F6BD by far the best bike I have ever owned or ridden!

The visuals of the Can Am appeals to me more than a two wheel in rear trike or even the Slingshot. Anything you care to share about your experience, riding differences pros or cons?
    I am 79 and still riding most days when weather permits..Have ridden both a Can Am and HD trikes...Did not care for either and felt they handled like an old farm tiller..But many prefer them for various reasons..If I were in the market, I would probably go for the Can Am....JMHO

I have both, Can Am Ryker Rally and an F6B, and Im past my mid 60s with health issues. No comparison in quality. The Honda is way better IMO. The Ryker keeps the wind in my face at a reasonable price and is a hoot to ride. Do a test ride on one. cueman

My wife is a 6* year old retired Navy Chief (disabled vet) and she is no wimp (she used the backhoe today to transplant some azaleas). She started feeling a little unsteady on her two wheeler so I upgraded her to a 2016 CanAm F3 LTD. IMHO that is the best, safest bike on the market today (for her).

She loves it!!!

Her Spyder has a semi-auto transmission (she shifts up, it shifts down for her), Power steering, ABS, Stability Control, Traction Control. The only thing I don't like about it is the belt drive, too bad it didn't come with a shaft ....

The 1330 Rotex 3cyl has no problem keeping up with my B. Last fall I had trouble keeping up with her on the dragon ....

2013 F6B
    2016 Spyder F3 Ltd

Good Ride with Reliability Issues

I have a friend who traded his Wing for a Can-Am for physical reasons. He's a diabetic and has problems with his feet. He likes it a lot. It appears to handle very well for a trike, especially when compared to the traditional trikes with a single wheel in front.

Having said that, reliability could be an issue. His had to be trailered back to the dealer the day he bought it new, and it's had other problems. Other riders we've talked to have had similar experiences. And in the Consumer Reports reliability survey of motorcycles several years ago Can-Ams were dead last, with more than 3 times as many trips to the dealer as our Hondas.

I'm not ready for a 3 wheeler yet but when I feel the need... this will probably be the one I would get.
    First time I saw it was at Wing Ding Dallas. Extremely interesting. For one thing, the width is barely wider than your saddlebags.
    Check it out: https://www.americanbikeandtrike.com...tor-works.html

Quote Originally Posted by gadgeteer View Post
    I'm not ready for a 3 wheeler yet but when I feel the need... this will probably be the one I would get.
    First time I saw it was at Wing Ding Dallas. Extremely interesting. For one thing, the width is barely wider than your saddlebags.
    Check it out: https://www.americanbikeandtrike.com...tor-works.html
    I agree, this concept is catching on and has many advantages. With Yamaha's Niken out now, and the other big manufacturers jumping on board, I think we may see a lot more choices in the future.

I've been trying to buy a American bike & trike aka tilting motor works. No luck. I'm in central Fl. the nearest dealer is at a HD dealership & 2+ hours one way. I've left messages & emails, get nothing back. I assume they're like most HD dealers, they don't work on brands other than Harley. We've all heard the "Jap Junk" commits, which is laughable in this day & age..
    The "self righting" kit is $14,000 or $14,999 + the install, last year the regular kit (the rider holds it upright) was $10,000 + install. Only way they'll sell a kit is through a dealer. They look pretty much like a bolt up deal to me, plus some adjustments. I'm sure they're worried about getting suited.

About 7 years ago right after I retired I did durability testing on Cam Am Spyders at the Nissan Test facility in Maricopa Arizona where Bombardier leased track facilites during the winter months. The bikes we rode were mostly pre-production three cylinder models, although we did ride some of the two cylinders as well. The three cylinders weren't released to the market until the 2014 model year. We rode both the stick shift and semi automatic bikes and the testing was very strenuous. After each shift the bikes were thoroughly checked by the engineers and techs. In 2014 I rode a RTS model from Tampa Florida to Phoenix Arizona.

With all the foregoing being said on the early three cylinder models at the test track the stability control was very abrupt when it engaged. On high speed days when we spent the entire shift on the 5 mile high banked oval we experienced some issues with transmission overheating on the semi-automatics. On the durability circuit which was very rough if the bike bottomed out it would occasionally engage the stability control which felt like it was going to throw you off the bike. The seat release and the trunk release which are both engaged by depressing the ignition key and turning it failed failed occasionally which could be very disturbing to the average owner because the fuel cap is under the seat. We also saw failures with the rear ride height control.

Keep in mind these were pre-production bikes and they were run twenty hours a day under very harsh conditions. On high speed days the bikes, except for fuel stops, spent the entire shift at speeds from eighty to 125 mile per hour. The trip from Tampa to Phoenix which I did in three days I experienced absolutely no problems. Also on the trip from Tampa to Phoenix my fuel mileage averaged 25.5 mpg.

Would I buy a Can Am Spyder? I have no plans to get off of two wheels but if I ever do I will probability go with a GoldWing Trike.

Just my two cents
    Az wingrider

I’ve had this conversation with my wife since she becoming less comfortable on two wheels. After considering cost and comfort of the ride we decided just to find her a nice convertible car she can enjoy on weekends, just seemed to make more sense for us.
    Glad to hear you’re healed up. Good luck with your search!