Florida

Thread: Florida

Florida

The wife n I are looking for a low key area in Florida to hang out for a week at the end of May. Definitely want to be on/near the beach but trying to stay away from touristy areas. We enjoy biking, paddle boarding, snorkeling but chilling is our main objective to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Poor woman. I notice quite a few gentlemen on this forum reside there. Any help would be sweet.

Hard to stay away from touristy areas if close to the beach this time of year. It is easy to find plenty of uncrowded sand and water along the 20 something miles of beach but traffic is often bad coming and going. I'm talking about the area know as the Redneck Reveria from Panama City to Gulf Shores and Pensacola Beach or Santa Rosa Island to be exact. Pensacola Beach is almost in the middle and farest away form any muddied rivers that tarnish the waters. It is also much less expensive and with more sand beach than some of the other places. Sand is pure white and the water is clear with a emerald tint most of the time. Crime is low out close to the coast and temps are more bearable than inland. Having a beer on the sand is still OK and people are nice for the most part, a little more southern than south Florida. In addition we have a very fine Naval Aviation Museum well worth visiting with plenty of good restaurants all over (specialty is seafood) and shopping in town if you get tired of the beach shops. A big asset is the many clear sandy bottom creeks close by, we have several with canoes, kayaks', or just a tube to rent if you want to get a feel for some cold fresh water. Pro baseball, hockey, free concerts and fireworks are weekly. Plenty of motels around but maybe even better is private homes for rent.

If you want to chill go to St. Croix virgin islands.....

Where did you end up?

Hondas and Kawis and Zukis and Yammys...Oh my!