Center stand opinions?

Thread: Center stand opinions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I hate to admit this but I still can't get my bike on the center stand. Is it because when the bike is new the spring is tough? or yes I might just be a wimp. I have to drive it onto a 2x4 then do it. I grab the passenger rail and the handlebar and pull up, tried pulling back and no dice. I watched all the videos I could find and it's gotta be more science than strength?

Quote Originally Posted by MRB68 View Post
    I hate to admit this but I still can't get my bike on the center stand. Is it because when the bike is new the spring is tough? or yes I might just be a wimp. I have to drive it onto a 2x4 then do it. I grab the passenger rail and the handlebar and pull up, tried pulling back and no dice. I watched all the videos I could find and it's gotta be more science than strength?
    Hmm. Since I have the Smuggler seat, I do not have the grab rails anymore and so I have to reach lower, using the saddlebag guard.
    I use a rocking motion for a few cycles then use my thighs and 190lbs of direct pressure to get her up.
    I don't mean to be sarcastic, but there are two 'mistakes' I've personally witnessed watching GoldWing Owners put their bike on the center stand:
    1. The bike was in gear
    2. The person 'helping' them on the right side of the bike was holding the front brake - "for safety."

Best of luck!
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

It's more of a coordination thing than either science or strength, IMO. (And I'm not saying you are uncoordinated.) You have to pull up on the handle at the same time you are pushing down with your foot, and shortly after getting the back wheel off the ground, pull the handle slightly to the rear. Once the bike gets to a certain point, the momentum will carry it to the resting place. The whole concept isn't bike specific, so grab a buddy that has a bike with a center stand, and have he/she demonstrate and help you out.

I am 145 and find it is style rather than strength.
    Stand on it and lift and it's up. Have to be level.

Mine is easier if I pull straight up on the grab rail. And ware hard soul shoes.
    Make sure the seat bolts are good and snug on the left side.
    ITS ALL GOOD