Center stand opinions? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Center stand opinions?

Don't see how you can get by without one. With the valve stems pointed towards the low side when on the side stand even checking rear tire pressure is a PIA without one.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Will the side stand interfere with a center stand? I want to add a center stand but want to retain the side stand. Is that doable ?

The center stand will not interfere with the side stand. The Deluxe comes with both.

I hate to admit this but I still can't get my bike on the center stand. Is it because when the bike is new the spring is tough? or yes I might just be a wimp. I have to drive it onto a 2x4 then do it. I grab the passenger rail and the handlebar and pull up, tried pulling back and no dice. I watched all the videos I could find and it's gotta be more science than strength?

Quote Originally Posted by MRB68 View Post
    I hate to admit this but I still can't get my bike on the center stand. Is it because when the bike is new the spring is tough? or yes I might just be a wimp. I have to drive it onto a 2x4 then do it. I grab the passenger rail and the handlebar and pull up, tried pulling back and no dice. I watched all the videos I could find and it's gotta be more science than strength?
    Hmm. Since I have the Smuggler seat, I do not have the grab rails anymore and so I have to reach lower, using the saddlebag guard.
    I use a rocking motion for a few cycles then use my thighs and 190lbs of direct pressure to get her up.
    I don't mean to be sarcastic, but there are two 'mistakes' I've personally witnessed watching GoldWing Owners put their bike on the center stand:
    1. The bike was in gear
    2. The person 'helping' them on the right side of the bike was holding the front brake - "for safety."

Best of luck!
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

It's more of a coordination thing than either science or strength, IMO. (And I'm not saying you are uncoordinated.) You have to pull up on the handle at the same time you are pushing down with your foot, and shortly after getting the back wheel off the ground, pull the handle slightly to the rear. Once the bike gets to a certain point, the momentum will carry it to the resting place. The whole concept isn't bike specific, so grab a buddy that has a bike with a center stand, and have he/she demonstrate and help you out.

I am 145 and find it is style rather than strength.
    Stand on it and lift and it's up. Have to be level.

cool thanks guys. I'll have to try it in neutral and maybe grabbing it lower. Nobody around me has a center stand for advice.

cool thanks guys. I'll have to try it in neutral and maybe grabbing it lower. Nobody around me has a center stand for advice.
    While I'm a new F6B owner I've already found that there are relatively few F6B owners and absolutely none in my area, and the Honda dealers closest to me (about an hours ride from me) all claim little to no knowledge about these bikes. Maybe because not enough of them were sold?

MRB68 - Like some others have already said, the key is putting weight firmly on the footrest of the center stand. Your weight is your best friend in this case.

I'd humbly recommend starting with the bike on the sidestand...lift her up off the sidestand while stepping down a bit on the center stand. You'll feel it when the feet touch, and can even rock it back and forth a little to ensure both feet are touching (i.e. she's straight/vertical). Then simply step up with your full weight on that one little step on the center stand, and pull up a bit on the grab rail.

Kkromfols - I'm a little surprised your dealer would not have much knowledge of the F6b since they're essentially the same GL1800 built and sold for 15 years (minus the trunk, air ride and reverse). The GLs are pretty reliable, so I have no doubt they don't see them "often" for repairs...but I'd still expect them to be quite familiar with the model line. Just my 2 cents.