2018 Goldwing DCT vs The Dragon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Goldwing DCT vs The Dragon

2018 Goldwing DCT vs The Dragon

In February I sold my 2013 F6B and began my search for her replacement and although there are some good deals on F6Bs I really had my eye on the 2018 Goldwing. I’ll be honest, I love the F6B but hated the fact that the technology was antiquated and that is what was peaking my interest in the new design. Of course the upgraded front end was good but I had concerns about the engine because the 1832cc engine used prior was tried and true.
    You can read the reviews and test drive them but you won’t know how she really feels until you step up and jump in and I jumped in. I found a 2018 standard with the DCT transmission and it had 4k miles with remaining warranty, some goodies added and a chance to save several thousand denarii from an individual that decided he’d go back to BMWs and I made her mine. Flew out and drove back and thought what in the world have I done.
    It felt good but it didn’t feel the same and here is what I’ll share with you, if you’re are expecting the 2018 to be a newer version of what you have with new technology then you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a motorcycle that is intuitive, responsive and full of 21st century bells and whistles then you will be very pleased. I am still working through how to use some of the features and I’m ok with that. I use my bike as a daily driver and take a couple trips a year to the mountains. I quickly got used to not shifting gears, using the nav system and at a glance see what gear I was in, outside temp, fuel mileage and miles to empty. So far so good but the test will be in the mountains.
    This past weekend I went to the mountains with RuneRider, T-Bone56 and 6 others. To say I was anxious to see what she would do is an understatement since I wasn’t sure how the DCT would do against the Tail of the Dragon, Moonshiner 28 and the Cherohala Skyway. You need to know that I drive hard and I go to the mountains for the adrenalin rush that comes with pushing the bike and myself as hard as I can as well as the comradery with the group of guys that I go with.
    The previous owner had gone to the same areas with the bike and told me that he left it in Tour mode because he didn’t see much difference in tour and sport. I say that he and I drive very differently. In sport mode the transmission stays in a lower gear keeping the rpms up in a more aggressive power band and allows you to use the engine to slow you down as you decelerate going into turns. I was concerned that the transmission would upshift but it didn’t until you leveled out and if I wanted to go back to a lower gear a quick click from the paddle shifter with my left thumb puts me right back in it. The bike felt and handled much lighter than the F6B and was very responsive; on top of that I was getting about 48+ MPG as I was driving the pants off of it.
    At one-point RuneRider and I swapped bikes for a while and like an old pair of shoes, the F6B fit like a glove. Man that is a nice bike however it was crazy that in just a few months I had forgotten where the high beam light switch and radio controls were located. I love love love the F6B and if I hit the lottery then I’ll pick up another “B” for my collection until then I’ll keep the 2018.

2018 Goldwing DCT
    Matte Majestic Silver
    wide variety of music on the USB

Thank you for the review!
    Test drove the DCT and I see no reason to have it in anything but "Sport" mode.
    If the previous owner "couldn't tell the difference between Tour & Sport" - well, yeah, back to the BMW for him!
    I'm very glad that yo are enjoying your new ride!

Since she is a daily driver for you, what mode do you use for commuting and why?
    I'll also be interested in the range per tankful - I know what Honda said, just wanted to see if it panned out.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Thank you for the review!
    Test drove the DCT and I see no reason to have it in anything but "Sport" mode.
    If the previous owner "couldn't tell the difference between Tour & Sport" - well, yeah, back to the BMW for him!
    I'm very glad that yo are enjoying your new ride!

Since she is a daily driver for you, what mode do you use for commuting and why?
    I'll also be interested in the range per tankful - I know what Honda said, just wanted to see if it panned out.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Thanks Steve,
    I do run back and forth in tour mode mainly because I'm in traffic and the electronic throttle control is very sensitive (aggressive) in sport mode and if I need (or want) it then it's just a click away. I haven't even given Econ or Rain any time yet. In tour mode I'm getting from 220-235 per tank but filling it up at around 1/4 tank which is about 175 miles. I have not tested the "miles remaining" accuracy because it's too heavy to have to push... lol
    Jimmy

2018 Goldwing DCT
    Matte Majestic Silver

Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina
    Good Review Jimmy. I can attest to Him riding hard. This is a guy that was pulling wheelies on his F6B. He rides hard and does push the bike to the limit. Not a lot of people ride like him. I did ride his 2018 for roughly 50 miles. I liked it. I was not as excited about the DCT transmission as he was, but I can see the attraction. 50 Miles was not really enough to review the bike but it did feel lighter and it did respond quickly.
    I think if I became more comfortable with it, I would like it more. As for now, I will ride the new 2016 F6B for a year or two and then decide

Quote Originally Posted by Jimamiah View Post
    Thanks Steve,
    I do run back and forth in tour mode mainly because I'm in traffic and the electronic throttle control is very sensitive (aggressive) in sport mode and if I need (or want) it then it's just a click away. I haven't even given Econ or Rain any time yet. In tour mode I'm getting from 220-235 per tank but filling it up at around 1/4 tank which is about 175 miles. I have not tested the "miles remaining" accuracy because it's too heavy to have to push... lol
    Jimmy
    My 2013 gets 43mpg. I fill up at 200 miles. I could probly go 250 or more till she was dry.
    I ride it easy. Ive had my fun on faster bikes over the years.
    Time to relax now.
    And the stock seat just keeps getting better. The more I use the highway bars the longer I can last.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I also purchased a 2018 left over/demo... DCT... I have seen no need to run in ecno or rain, sport is to short for around town and tour is to tall in gearing. You can always put it in manual and shift on your demand. I'm thinking sport in the mountains or maual. Bike handles very well, although I do have some add ons for suspension. Fuel milage is a non issue for me...I like it and am well under way of making it "mine"...There is a learning curve for the DCT and the electronics... Trying to make nice with Apple Play now...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

dragon peace.jpg

Dragon.jpg

From the Dragon, most people don't know that although I have a dct doesn't mean I can't manual shift like Steve said. On the Dragon I was in Manual most the time. I did try fully auto for a few curves but went back to full control of manual. Again, On normal roads in the city I prefer to upshift manually and rarely downshift manual. DCT will downshift for me. A rider with me that day who had a DCT did keep his in auto, and got better gas mileage but like Steve mileage is a non-issue.
    Last edited by Fla_rider; 09-10-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

I have the Heli risers, a Corbin seat( I also have a Corbin on my F6B that I still have) and after installing the 3rd set of highway pegs, I am truly at home on my DCT. Feels every bit as home as my F6B. I bought my '19 Tour DCT new July of 2019 so I have had her a little over a year and 14 k miles. I too enjoy riding aggressively. I mostly leave it in Tour unless I am really going. Even in Auto or "Drive" I manipulate gear shifts with the buttons.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

What highway pegs did you settle on?

2018 Goldwing DCT
    Matte Majestic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Jimamiah View Post
    What highway pegs did you settle on?
    I installed the Paladin Comfort Bars ,which allowed me to install the Kuryakyn Ergo II pegs. Pegs that I knew I could be happy with. I didn't want another "trial"
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"