Yokohama Tire

Thread: Yokohama Tire

Yokohama Tire

I had this mounted the other day. But didn't look very close at the tread design.
    Anybody see a down side to this tread design as far as cornering?
    The first grove is right where Id like to see some rubber on the road in corners.
    Doesn't look very good for wet surfaces in corners.
    The tire is a 185x60x16 and is just the right size for the wheel.
    No side bulge. The rubber was very soft compared to the MC tire.
    I'll put it on the bike next week when the weather clears.
    There seems to be a problem with loading pictures sideways.
    Thought that might be fixed by now?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tenxxx; 05-10-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I freely admit, I have not contacted Yokohama engineering to see if they thought putting their tire on a MC was a good idea.
    I have contacted Michelin, Firestone, Bridgestone, Toyo, and Goodyear. All would not answer my questions.
    Did Yoko engineering tell you anything about the tread pattern and possible issues with cornering?

Until I get the word from engineers, I'll maintain that Craftsman workboots will fit on a ballerina and will last longer in her dance career, BUT, the girl just ISN'T going to dance as well.
    My $0.02.
    Cheers,
    Steve

I have not a ran a yoko tire. I use pirelli P1 it has the same offset tread pattern. On my tire one side wall is marked outside I run it to the left or kick stand side.

And for Steve comment no manufactor is going to tell you to run a car tire on a bike. 1,000's of people do with millions of miles. But your choice is for you. I would not run one for years then decided to try it. I personally like the car tire.

I run the Yoko Avid Envigor ZPS. Size 195/55r16. This is a run flat which I feel is very important on the dark side. I see a mention of a 185/60r16 in this thread. That is not a run flat tire per available options. I chose my Yoko over the Bridgestone Driveguard due to tread pattern being symmetrical on the Yoko. I have a buddy running the Bridgestone so we're kind of doing an A/B test on performance and longevity. Either way, the size is 195/55r16 for dark side and you SHOULD only use run flat to protect against blow outs.

Car tires are not engineered MC's & motorcycle tires are not engineered for cars, they don't look anything alike...… The DOT rating is for what the tire was designed to fit, nothing else. I'll bet you'll never get a car tire mfg. to give you something in writing that says it's even "OKAY" mount it, much less ride with it. ……. Heck, why not put a car tire on the front too?? Makes as much sense as putting one on the rear...… Will your insurance cover you if you crash, or will you be stuck with the entire bill for both vehicles, no matter who's at fault ?? All it'll take is a sharp eyed adjuster.....your money, your bike, your life...………. just saying

People have been modifying, customizing their stuff since the invention of the wheel. Running a car tire on this bike is obviously safer than avoiding distracted drivers and crazy people with guns so go for it.

Thank you all for the comments.
    The tire is feeling better the more I ride it. I know theres always that chance, but I haven't had a flat for 35 years.
    I just don't go places that might cause one.
    It is said that people that take chances live longer and are happier.
    ITS ALL GOOD

If it's not a RF you might try bumping the pressure up. Runflats are stiffer and you can run a little less air.

Ive been running 40psi and it feels ok.Will go up and down on pressure to find the sweet spot.
    I plan on running it till it wares out to give it a fare test.
    If it goes 20k or more, it'll last longer than me.
    Will move on to 4 wheels for fun in a few years.
    ITS ALL GOOD

…... Safer than distracted drivers, crazy people w/ guns...…………HUH ?????? Apples vis oranges