Question for 1/2 and 3/4 helmet guys.

Thread: Question for 1/2 and 3/4 helmet guys.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    FYI - FL. has no helmet laws.
    Well, not exactly.
    If you are under 21 years of age, you must wear a helmet.
    If you are over the age of 21 AND you have taken the Basic Rider Course, then you may opt to not wear a helmet.
    You also MUST have at least $10,000 medical coverage on your insurance specified on the card.
    You also need to tell your insurance company that you are opting to not wear a helmet - premiums will go up about $40 and you will get your special card.
    There is fine print in the standard Florida policy NOT covering you if you don't tell them about not wearing a helmet and you are in a mishap while not wearing one.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Well, not exactly.
    If you are under 21 years of age, you must wear a helmet.
    If you are over the age of 21 AND you have taken the Basic Rider Course, then you may opt to not wear a helmet.
    You also MUST have at least $10,000 medical coverage on your insurance specified on the card.
    You also need to tell your insurance company that you are opting to not wear a helmet - premiums will go up about $40 and you will get your special card.
    There is fine print in the standard Florida policy NOT covering you if you don't tell them about not wearing a helmet and you are in a mishap while not wearing one.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Steve I have looked and read as much as possible. I can find no rule stating that a Basic Rider Course is required to go helmetless. I also have never heard of any requirement of having to notify my insurance company of such action or the possibility of not being covered if I don't do so. Yes I know a BRC is required for new Riders to get a license but that is not always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Steve I have looked and read as much as possible. I can find no rule stating that a Basic Rider Course is required to go helmetless. I also have never heard of any requirement of having to notify my insurance company of such action or the possibility of not being covered if I don't do so. Yes I know a BRC is required for new Riders to get a license but that is not always the case.
    MIke,
    I have a call into Florida Highway Safety to clarify - as I have never actually seen the BRC requirement either.

As far as insurance companies go, I guess the "YMMV" applies.
    My AllState agent asked me specifically if I was going "helmet less" and when I asked him why, he told me that that was an extra bit of money, and the insurance paperwork automatically assumes you are wearing a helmet. If you are not wearing a helmet, and you are not paying the "extra" premium, with AllState, you are not covered.
    Please read your fine print as required.
    Cheers,
    Steve