Question for 1/2 and 3/4 helmet guys.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for 1/2 and 3/4 helmet guys.

Question for 1/2 and 3/4 helmet guys.

Whats your preferred method while wearing glasses.

Im interested in looking at either a half or 3/4 helmet for my commute and around town. At the moment I have a middle of the road modular that does ok, but in slower speeds its not great. But other unknown for me is that I wear glasses. I have never had anything but a full face/modular so its never been a thought to consider. But do I need padded riding glasses? Aviators *to add the cool factor also*? Goggles?

Just wondering what other people are doing is all. Looking for ideas.

I do not use padded glasses or googles but Z-87 rated glasses in clear or dark. I use a half helmet most of the time and modular if cold, wet or running the interstate.

I use a half helmet and padded sunshades during the day and unpadded/regular non prescription clear lenses at night. I might eventually get some padded clear lenses, but between the mad5tad and the F6B fairing, I can almost run without altogether. However, the occasional rock or insect always reminds me that's a bad idea.

Jason

So your saying that there isnt much wind that gets behind the glasses while driving? I might still look into prescription padded glasses, but Ive got a few other things I gotta get done first.

Also have a Mad$stad and Baker Wings. (Thanks to those member who sold me these)

In my opinion the only thing you get from padded is heat and fogging. I have had a pair of glasses that did not route the wind correctly and cause your eyes to water an quickly discarded but most work just fine. I buy mine from a construction supply house on line. They will be Z-87 rated for anti shatter giving you the proper protection and much less expensive than designated motorcycle glasses. Good ones are less than 20 bucks a pair.

I agree with the Z-87 ansi rating! Regular sun glass can shatter easily. You can find cool looking ones in different shades multiple places on line. The shape of the glasses determine how much wind gets in. I have some that seem to block it all and some that block none.

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I use a half helmet and padded sunshades during the day and unpadded/regular non prescription clear lenses at night. I might eventually get some padded clear lenses, but between the mad5tad and the F6B fairing, I can almost run without altogether. However, the occasional rock or insect always reminds me that's a bad idea.

Jason
    It is pretty calm behind the Mad5tad. I wear glasses as well and use a combo of a full face or a 3/4. No need for foam or sealing for the glasses. Its calm enough that there is no wind behind the lenses

I have both 3/4, 1/2 helmet and ware prescription glasses. When the sun is rising or just setting it will be in your eyes.
    I tilt the helmet down to help shade my eyes and the glasses get in the way.
    Make sure the helmet will take a sun shade or shield. Will have snaps across the front.
    Looking cool is not an issue since I make anything I wear look good.
    Padded glasses or goggles will stick out further and interfere with the positioning of the helmet.
    A pull down shade from inside the helmet is too close for glasses.
    My 2₡
    ITS ALL GOOD

I wear contacts and Oakley Fuel cells with my half helmet or my 3/4. No wind in my eyes or watering. I have some clear safety glasses for night use.
    2013 F6B in black of course

FYI - FL. has no helmet laws. I wear a helmet in case I crash. I buy the best, highest rated helmet I can afford, my head & brains are worth it. They won't save your life in 100% of crashes...Check webbikeworld.com. ratings
    Most new helmets have changed the padding to allow for glasses. Most new full face helmets have red emergency "pulls" on the cheek pads so EMT's can get the helmet off w/o twisting the riders neck.
    Germany did a long study on MC crashes & helmets. Helmets do save lives. In 78% of all crashes, the rider does a face plant. I wear a full face helmet to protect my head, brains & face. Most new full face helmets have "pin lock" (inter shield) so it doesn't steam up. If not, crack open one notch / click, steams gone.
    Personally, I think everyone should wear a top quality helmet. Should it be a law? In my opinion, NO. If you choose not to wear one, I don't care, it's your life. If you crash & become a vegetable for your family to, feed, wipe your butt & care for, that's on you...…. I'm not looking for a pissin' contest about wearing helmets...…… wear it or not, it's your call.