Question for 1/2 and 3/4 helmet guys. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for 1/2 and 3/4 helmet guys.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBob View Post
    Whats your preferred method while wearing glasses.

Im interested in looking at either a half or 3/4 helmet for my commute and around town. At the moment I have a middle of the road modular that does ok, but in slower speeds its not great. But other unknown for me is that I wear glasses. I have never had anything but a full face/modular so its never been a thought to consider. But do I need padded riding glasses? Aviators *to add the cool factor also*? Goggles?

Just wondering what other people are doing is all. Looking for ideas.
    I use a modular and a 3/4 depending on my mission. Wearing the 3/4 I've never felt the need to close off the space around the side of the eyes unless it's raining.

Here's a thought for you.. many, if not all Oakley frames support RX lens. If style is important to you check some of their frames out. I don't have any affiliation with Oakley other than I've use their product for years and I'm a huge fan.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

I wear the full modular helmet all the time. I went another route and got smaller more flexible frames with the magnetic clip on sunglasses. Work very well and never fog. Wind is not an issue with my windshield.
    Defiant77
    Tampa Bay

I typically run around with a half helmet and pick up polarized bifocal sunglasses in the fishing equipment area at WalMart. They are usually around $20 and wrap around the eyes like my old Oakleys did back in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    FYI - FL. has no helmet laws.
    Well, not exactly.
    If you are under 21 years of age, you must wear a helmet.
    If you are over the age of 21 AND you have taken the Basic Rider Course, then you may opt to not wear a helmet.
    You also MUST have at least $10,000 medical coverage on your insurance specified on the card.
    You also need to tell your insurance company that you are opting to not wear a helmet - premiums will go up about $40 and you will get your special card.
    There is fine print in the standard Florida policy NOT covering you if you don't tell them about not wearing a helmet and you are in a mishap while not wearing one.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

My standard configuration is half helmet with prescription safety glasses by Liberty Sport.
    I paid for the transition lenses so they're perfect in bright sun or after dark.
    They have magnetic wind seals that are perfect for me. They do fog if I wear them under my full faced.
    I've switched to contacts when using my full faced (when riding my ninja) but still prefer the half helmet with liberty sport glasses on the B.
    There just isn't enough air flow for a full faced on the B, at least not with my Arai.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Well, not exactly.
    If you are under 21 years of age, you must wear a helmet.
    If you are over the age of 21 AND you have taken the Basic Rider Course, then you may opt to not wear a helmet.
    You also MUST have at least $10,000 medical coverage on your insurance specified on the card.
    You also need to tell your insurance company that you are opting to not wear a helmet - premiums will go up about $40 and you will get your special card.
    There is fine print in the standard Florida policy NOT covering you if you don't tell them about not wearing a helmet and you are in a mishap while not wearing one.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Steve I have looked and read as much as possible. I can find no rule stating that a Basic Rider Course is required to go helmetless. I also have never heard of any requirement of having to notify my insurance company of such action or the possibility of not being covered if I don't do so. Yes I know a BRC is required for new Riders to get a license but that is not always the case.

+1 to folks' comments on the ------- and glasses. I normally wear a 3/4 Shoei and my prescription glasses (no pads) without issue. At times, I'll wear the regular sunglasses for motorcycles with pads if I want full tint. With a lower or less effective shield, I'd stick with the google style.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Steve I have looked and read as much as possible. I can find no rule stating that a Basic Rider Course is required to go helmetless. I also have never heard of any requirement of having to notify my insurance company of such action or the possibility of not being covered if I don't do so. Yes I know a BRC is required for new Riders to get a license but that is not always the case.
    MIke,
    I have a call into Florida Highway Safety to clarify - as I have never actually seen the BRC requirement either.

As far as insurance companies go, I guess the "YMMV" applies.
    My AllState agent asked me specifically if I was going "helmet less" and when I asked him why, he told me that that was an extra bit of money, and the insurance paperwork automatically assumes you are wearing a helmet. If you are not wearing a helmet, and you are not paying the "extra" premium, with AllState, you are not covered.
    Please read your fine print as required.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post
    My standard configuration is half helmet with prescription safety glasses by Liberty Sport.
    I paid for the transition lenses so they're perfect in bright sun or after dark.
    They have magnetic wind seals that are perfect for me. They do fog if I wear them under my full faced.
    I've switched to contacts when using my full faced (when riding my ninja) but still prefer the half helmet with liberty sport glasses on the B.
    There just isn't enough air flow for a full faced on the B, at least not with my Arai.
    I also wear the liberty sport glasses in my prescription and auto tint lens and 3/4 helmet over 100,000 miles. and by the way Walmart carries the glasses

I wear Oakley prescription glasses with a 3/4 during the warmer months and I don’t experience any wind into my eyes. I have a 14 inch Klockwerks and have a sunshade visor that I can pull down if the wind picks up at higher speeds (over 80 mph which is rare for me).