Discount Tire - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discount Tire

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    The BT-45 is actually a REAR MT mounted and run on the front. Some folks have this tire mounted with the side wall Directional Arrow in the opposite direction of normal! I have my BT-45's mounted with the Arrow in the normal position. Having well over 45K miles on BT-45's, I'm currently on my third tire and will continue using this setup on my 6. When mounted the 45 is actually 1/4" narrower than the OEM Tire and is a great "corner carver" when compared to the OEM.
    Thanks Bob! I had thought (assumed!) it was a CT after reading some posts.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    Heck, put a CT on the front too.
    I'll try ALMOST anything once
    ITS ALL GOOD

Discount Tire in Ocala refused to mount the tire that was purchased from them on line (see original post). The seemed not to care about it being a care tire going on a MC rim. The said they do not mount anything on MC rims.

Quote Originally Posted by valkmc View Post
    Discount Tire in Ocala refused to mount the tire that was purchased from them on line (see original post). The seemed not to care about it being a care tire going on a MC rim. The said they do not mount anything on MC rims.
    Mom & Pop Tire Shops are your best source for Dark Side mounting! Try several and you'll have success! When you do find the right shop don't forget a good cash tip. They'll be glad for your business and generosity!

bob109

Cool Not worth the risk.

I have not seen any data that a car tire on a mc is any more dangerous than a mc tire. I wish somebody could show me evidence of an accident that can be attributed to a car tire. Not could have or might have been the cause, but real hard evidence.

Evidence

So after 3 blowouts with MC tires in the rear, and not sustaining injuries, but having to deal with all related BS to get it fixed and or towed, I saw the light .

No, I have been considering it for a while and been looking for the legal ramifications if any.

Been not able to locate any proof that a DOT-approved tire on a DOT rim is in violation of any kind, and supporting evidence from trikes and current non trike owners who go Darkside seems to bolster that theory.

Neither did I find any evidence of Insurance claims not being processed for Darkside in use and involved in accidents and made to be the culprit.

So for a more hassle-free solution, I selected an RF Pirelli, and because Pirelli uses a bit softer contact rubber(lower treadwear factor) but potentially better road contact, I know from previous sport car experiences.

So American Tires agreed on mounting Cinturato P7 RF for $25, and $29 road hazard policy, tx and Mil discount=$191 out the door.

Just wondering about the ideal tire pressure, any current owners who want to enlighten me, I carry moderate luggage (read as riding with a passenger, although I never have one) and like to go fast 80 + on average.
    Last edited by maxrider; 07-03-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxrider View Post
    So after 3 blowouts with MC tires in the rear, and not sustaining injuries, but having to deal with all related BS to get it fixed and or towed, I saw the light .

No, I have been considering it for a while and been looking for the legal ramifications if any.

Been not able to locate any proof that a DOT-approved tire on a DOT rim is in violation of any kind, and supporting evidence from trikes and current non trike owners who go Darkside seems to bolster that theory.

Neither did I find any evidence of Insurance claims not being processed for Darkside in use and involved in accidents and made to be the culprit.

So for a more hassle-free solution, I selected an RF Pirelli, and because Pirelli uses a bit softer contact rubber(lower treadwear factor) but potentially better road contact, I know from previous sport car experiences.

So American Tires agreed on mounting Cinturato P7 RF for $25, and $29 road hazard policy, tx and Mil discount=$191 out the door.

Just wondering about the ideal tire pressure, any current owners who want to enlighten me, I carry moderate luggage (read as riding with a passenger, although I never have one) and like to go fast 80 + on average.
    Welcome to the Darkside.

Air up your run flat to 28 psi and try that. I run 28 psi in my Pirelli run flat and it is marvelous.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I'm at 30 psi on my run RF. It just feels right to me. Experiment and you will find what feels good to you. Welcome to the Darkside!!!
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

Thanks for the welcome, and info, appreciated it.

For the sake of clarity on who does what, I stated in my other post that it was American Tires, this is inaccurate, it is American Tire Depot, they currently are located in CA only so the manager told me.

America"s tire won't touch it, only if they could physically do the wrenching (installing wheel to the bike)don't care if it is Trike, MC. or Canam, ATV, etc, no loose wheel with mounting a tire if non-car.

That leaves Walmart as a good potential shop for me to go to in the future since they will mount it, and have their road hazard policy in effect throughout the USA.
    Kinda thought of them too late, I could have ordered that Pirelli and have them do it, maybe this helps somebody else out reading this.

Whereas I'm now limited to CA for immediate service on my roadside hazard policy, should that event occur.

Just rode it around with new Pirelli, loving it.

Found this and make you all aware of this maybe not-so-published fact, a free 1 yr warranty or 2/32 of use from Perelli.

"If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or material irregularities or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, the tire will be replaced to the owner at no charge. The initial warranty period lasts one year from the date of original retail purchase (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32" of original tread, whichever occurs first. After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship and material irregularities or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost for a comparable new Pirelli brand or PTNA private brand replacement tire on a pro-rated basis.

Here is a link with all info:https://www.torquenews.com/1083/free...tell-you-about
    Last edited by maxrider; 07-10-2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: info