Stuck up Cubby!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck up Cubby!

Stuck up Cubby!

My left side cubby is stuck shut. My fault, I'm sure, because I forced it shut with a GPS power cord coming out of it. Now it will not open. The button pushes down but I think it is not releasing the latch. I have fished around with a thin a piece of plastic but still stuck!

Any ideas before I get out the crowbar and my wallet?

I had this happen with mine. Press down on cubby cover while pushing the release button and the latch should release. You may have to keep the release button depressed while pushing down on different parts of the cover. It will eventually open.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I had this happen with mine. Press down on cubby cover while pushing the release button and the latch should release. You may have to keep the release button depressed while pushing down on different parts of the cover. It will eventually open.
    I figured that I was not the only one in the world with a stuck up cubby! I've been prying up and pushing the button...never thought about pushing down on the cover...will give it a try.
    Thanks

Same here, same fix. To free it up, push the button in, and find the corner of the cover that is being pushed up and binding the latch. Press down on it and then gently pull up in various areas until it releases. I test drove a B before I got mine which had a broken cubby latch, so I imagine they are pretty easy to break with too much force.

Jason

After you get it unstuck if you remove the bottom bucket to the cubby you can route you cord down toward the front of bike and back up the handlebars to the GPS and avoid the cubby lid.

THANKS ALL!!!! It worked by pushing down, not pulling up with a crowbar! And, as 2wheelsforme suggested, that aux. socket is getting rerouted tonight.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mine sticks all the time with no cords or wires. Multiple button pushes to open most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewreck View Post
    Mine sticks all the time with no cords or wires. Multiple button pushes to open most of the time.
    Mine behaved like that from the factory.

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest take the trim off, take the 4 pins out and re-align the cubby. The cubby should sit squarely in it's place without any downward pressure needed to re insert the pushpins. Maybe something underneath preventing proper placement?
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Mine behaved like that from the factory.

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest take the trim off, take the 4 pins out and re-align the cubby. The cubby should sit squarely in it's place without any downward pressure needed to re insert the pushpins. Maybe something underneath preventing proper placement?
    I’ve had it out played with it a few times. I just figure it has a “push three times to open” sticker on it somewhere.

Have you guys tried swearing? That seems to get the cubby open faster. If it doesn't open after a few F-bombs, go nuclear. Just make sure the wife isn't around.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6