The Ultimate seat...finally - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate seat...finally

Quote Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
    Yes I wanted to know about Ultimate seats. I've been waiting since summer for them to build one having had an Ultimate on my last bike that was wonderful.

Here's why I won't be getting a Russel Day Long.
    1) I live in Ct. From here, RDL is a very long ride for mere mortals that aren't retired and have sweet hearts with limited vacation time (been divorced 2x, I'm taking this one with me). I'm using our vacation time for Franklin this year.
    2) RDL uses our stock seat pan so I'd have to ship my pan or whole seat to them. It cost $179 to ship a Corbin just down to NC. from here, I can only imagine shipping out west.
    3) So I can strip the seat and just send the pan... Now there is no turning back. I have no stock seat to go back to if I need/want to sell the RDL.
    4) It's not just about me. My passenger is a major part of what I enjoy about riding this bike. She'll snuggle up to me for hours on this bike, Never touches the backrest, and is very comfortable on the stock seat. I can't do anything that will change that.
    So why even get another seat? I want a backrest for when she isn't riding with me, which isn't often. So it needs to be quickly removable.
    Not meant to be argumentative, but in response to 1-4: You could buy an extra seat used on the forum for $200 and have the member send it direct to Russell to save freight costs. (the stock seat weighs about half what the Corbin weighs) Then sell your old seat for $200 when you get the Russell. Russell built my seat and left the passenger section "as is" so no difference for your sweetie. Cost to do just the solo section is $550 or so which is less than Ultimate. I have nothing against Ultimate or invested in Russell but wanted to address your issues with the Russell process.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    Not meant to be argumentative, but in response to 1-4: You could buy an extra seat used on the forum for $200 and have the member send it direct to Russell to save freight costs. (the stock seat weighs about half what the Corbin weighs) Then sell your old seat for $200 when you get the Russell. Russell built my seat and left the passenger section "as is" so no difference for your sweetie. Cost to do just the solo section is $550 or so which is less than Ultimate. I have nothing against Ultimate or invested in Russell but wanted to address your issues with the Russell process.
    I guess my last question would be the original reason for the seat was the removable rider backrest. Does your seat have a rider backrest? This indeed may be an alternative. Thanks 1951vbs.

I guess my last question would be the original reason for the seat was the removable rider backrest. Does your seat have a rider backrest? This indeed may be an alternative. Thanks 1951vbs.
    My seat does not, but only because I do not like that option (Russell offers it). Miles had the first Russell seat built for a F6B and he and a few others on this forum have a drivers backrest. I think the brand is Utopia but best to search old posts. I did not mean to add to the thread jack but the titles on this forum seem to get things back on track pretty well.

As an example of the power of the classified section on this forum: I bought my extra seat from FsixB in AZ (he bought a Corbin) and he sent it to Russell for me, then when I got my Russell I sold my original seat to Tbone in SC and he modified it himself and sent his old pan to another member and from there I lost track. But it works and it is a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    My seat does not, but only because I do not like that option (Russell offers it). Miles had the first Russell seat built for a F6B and he and a few others on this forum have a drivers backrest. I think the brand is Utopia but best to search old posts. I did not mean to add to the thread jack but the titles on this forum seem to get things back on track pretty well.

As an example of the power of the classified section on this forum: I bought my extra seat from FsixB in AZ (he bought a Corbin) and he sent it to Russell for me, then when I got my Russell I sold my original seat to Tbone in SC and he modified it himself and sent his old pan to another member and from there I lost track. But it works and it is a win-win.
    To assist in getting this thread back on track, and back to where you originally asked the question....I believe that Utopia backrests are the only one that offers a quick disconnect for the RIDER's backrest, in case you want to remove it.

The Utopia backrest is the absolute best in the business, and that is the one that the vast majority of other seat makers copy, when they make a backrest.

A Utopia backrest will work with a Ultimate seat.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    So the bottom line is I was hoping that someone already got the Ultimate and could tell me if the area around the backrest mount was as well padded as the rest of the seat.
    I don't have the F6B Ultimate, but,,, if it's anything similar to prior Ultimate seats that I have owned, the back rest mounts very similar to a Mustang,,, Near vertical tongue on the backrest slides down into a receiver,,, Prior Mustang and Ultimate seats that I have owned had the receiver low enough that contact wasn't a problem, unless perhaps someone is REALLY out of position.

The last RDL backrest I had used a horizontal tongue that slid into a receiver. My current RDL has no backrest. No real plans to add one.

Well I guess I'll be the first one in the pool

OK, I'll jump.
    I ordered my Ultimate seat Midrider with rider backrest Monday night. It should be 2-3 weeks until I recieve it. Hopefully, it won't be the same 2 weeks that was actually 3 months to create the seat.

Before I ordered it I told Des to tell me the "long" side of the delivery date. If you tell me 1 month and it shows up in 3 weeks, your a hero. If it shows up in 5 weeks your a "goat". He said 3 weeks. The reciept said 2-3 weeks. It would be nice to have it by Christmas. Oh... that's not politically correct any more. That would be the winter holiday. Wait, have they outlawed holiday yet? It used to be much simpler when I was younger.

I am going over on Thurs, the 5th....anybody want to meet and look at the seat and go to lunch... what time??? I'll be there?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Ultimate passenger back rest

Steve, when you go to Ultimate, checkout the passenger back rest riser. In the picture, the riser it looks a lot like the one I purchased here on the forum. Hmmmm. Maybe someone's great idea was copied?

Here you go ....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

more ....