September trip to Yellowstone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September trip to Yellowstone.

Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina

September trip to Yellowstone.

Hello guys,

I need some information and help planning from forum members.

I am planning a (roughly) 2 week trip out west to Yellowstone.
    I am in South Carolina, but would like to ship the bike out to somewhere close to Billings Montana. General agenda would include Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier National Park and if enough time a trip up to Banff and Lake Louise.

Suggestions please

I need somewhere to ship my bike too. Anyone live out in that area?
    I also need suggestions about roads and routes and things that I really shouldn't miss.
    Suggestions on where to stay when in and around Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Glacier.

This will be a 2 up trip
    We will be flying out late Sunday night or Monday morning September 1st or 2nd or depending when we can get the best air fares. But the first few days of September.

Please feel free to make suggestions. I have never been to the area and would like to rely on some good information.

Thank you

Sounds like a good time. I have not been to most of the places you mentioned, but I’m sure you are going to enjoy your trip. I recently got back from a trip to Hwy 1 along the coast. I highly recommend you get some Butler maps for your trip. I changed my route based on the map recommendations, and I’m really glad I did. These maps are made for bikers, by bikers and have some very good insights as to roads and scenic routes. It may also help you put into context some of the suggestions you receive from the forum.

Ok
    Will look for Butler maps
    Thank you

Hi,

Great riding in Montana and Wyoming. Be sure to ride Beartooth Pass which runs along the north end of Yellowstone. I usually ride it from west to east entering from the west entrance to Yellowstone and ending the day in Red Lodge Montana. Spectacular ride. Check the weather as it shuts down due to snow at various times.

Pete
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

I don't know much about that part of the country. My Nephew lives in Bozeman. I you want, I could try to connect you with him for some advice.

Hey 6gun, Thank you. YES. Is our nephew a motorcyclist? I would enjoy talking with him and picking his brain about the area. You have some good riding up where your at too. Nice area.

He does ride. I don't know if he moved his bike to MT.

That will be a great trip. Chief Joseph Highway from Cody WY up to the Beartooth Hwy just NE of Cooke City is a must ride also since you are in that area. two points for consideration.

--Don't try to see too much. Banff and Icefields Parkway to Jasper are awesome, as is Lake Louise, but ensure you have enough time for Yellowstone, Tetons, Beartooth, Chief Joseph Hwy, and Glacier (must ride west>east or east>west all the way up over the pass). Beautiful!!!! Important to watch the weather in September. Beautiful time of the year and should be good weather, but watch for a passing cold front that could dump snow in that whole area. Make adjustments accordingly.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Rune,
    I sent you a PM

Hey Rune, that's a excellent trip. If you do venture up to L. Louise / Banff, the vistas of the never ending Glaciers are memorizing. If you have an extra cple of takes venture a tad further north to Jasper Nat Prk.

Some tips for ya (and I'm not sure how you travel and /or if your lady rides w/ you often or not), but to see / experience / taking your time, about 275 - 350 ish miles a day w/ 2 lane hwys / rds is a decent barometer. You mite want to call JH Cycle in Jackson Hole and see if you can have your bike shipped there, and fly into Jackson Hole. And start your trip from there. Beleive the 1st or 2nd of Sept is a Holiday.

JACKSON HOLE: Any Hotel is good (or Airbnb). You can stay in town or up in Teton Village. The RUSTIC INN w/ custom cabins are excellent BUT it's a tad pricey. The Wort Hotel has live bands and dancing. Each lady I've taken on my trips has dug the drinks and dancing at WORT. The town square has lots of shops, food, etc. Bunny Bakery for breakfast. Jackson Hole Roasters for coffee. They supply most of the coffee to the local hotels. When you exit Jackson on Hwy 191, turn into Moose (about 10 min up the road) to Teton Park Road. It takes you closer to the Tetons, Jenny Lake, Jackson Lake, and back onto 191.

YELLOWSTONE: Take the 20 around Yellowstone Lake to Tower Junction. There's been times I've had to wait up to 40 min for Buffalo to x the road along this stretch. The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone is here. Cooke City is cool. Just a few hotels and places to eat. Last year, the town had half the road blocked and shops closed early. A band and dancing in the street all night. It was a blast.

BEARTOOTH: YES, but be prepared for a bite in the air. It was 36 degrees near the top (in August). See pic. Not that you would but they close down the pass in the evenings.

RED LODGE: Lots of hotels, CARBON COUNTY STEAK HOUSE - Whewwwwww daddy are their steaks delicious. Prindy's Place is an old school diner for breakfast. Coffee Factory for coffee. At GLACIER (west side) look at Glacier Inn Motel. Nice little place, mom and pop owned, bike friendly, very clean and not expensive.

Have BIG FUN!!!

BEARTOOTH.jpg
    Last edited by adventurous1; 05-23-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne