Ohio Bike Week Trip - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ohio Bike Week Trip

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    I got the exact opposite. Quick and curious on the US side and much scrutiny on the Canada side.
    When you leave Canada its even worse.. Been up there a dozen times always the same.
    We go through the Thousand Island crossing.
    Theres one French sounding guy, you better be straight forward with. Any sunglasses or unnecessary talk and he will pull you in and you will be inspected.
    A-Holes.
    And you will have to have a passport, like a driver license, if you drive through.
    Full blown book type passport if you fly in.
    And they do it all with a smile.
    The Thousand Islands/I-81 crossing is notorious. It is very busy with travelers from the US, many who come to Canada thinking its the 51st state and can just waltz in. The attitude of Canadian customs and Border Patrol there is as bad as the Niagara Falls crossing.

Not sure where you were heading, but get off I-81 take Rt 12 and Rt 37 instead, and cross at Ogdensburg, which is 60 miles of really nice riding with great sightlines and scenery, particularly on the Rt 12 portion. If going to Ottawa or Montreal, this crossing adds nothing to your trip but nice riding and a much smoother ... and significantly faster ... border crossing.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Just got back last night and thank you all for your input.
    Rented an immaculate house on Airbnb in Huron and it was awesome. Three bedrooms, two bath, linens, soap, shampoo, coffee plus an oversized two car garage, 2 minutes from the lake, 10 from Cedar Point and 25 from downtown Sandusky rally all for $1200, for seven days. A great deal as far as I was concerned.
    Sunday rode to the prison in Mansfield where Shawshank Redemption was filmed, very cool.
    Monday rode to Rock & Roll HOF via route 6 around lake, some beautiful homes and scenery. Had lunch at the “Flats” touristy but nice.
    Tuesday rode southeast through farms and small one stop light towns, again very enjoyable with great roads and NO TRAFFIC!!!
    Wednesday did the Henry Ford museum including the Rouge Factory Tour (Thanks Opus for that recommendation). And rode into downtown Detroit to go to Canada. NOTE:Motorcycles are not allowed through the tunnel to Canada but there is no signage stating this that we saw. You must take the Ambassador Bridge. We did have passports and the Canadian customs agent was a real cutie and friendly, US agent not so much.
    Thursday we rode to the west along lake to Cedar Point (picture taking only) and headed south making a big 180 mile loop then ending back at the rally in Sandusky, good music, drink, and fun.
    Friday we took the scenic route to Canton, NFL HOF through Mohican county which had some awesome winding roads and scenery. Being Eagles fans and thanks to the recent SB victory we got to see memorabilia from the game.
    I never knew Ohio was so green and picturesque and I would recommend it to anyone for a trip.
    Lastly we returned home Saturday through Pittsburgh and visited the Flight 92 Memorial, very moving. Every US Citizen should be required to visit all of these memorials to remind them what we have gone through, and the importance of a strong border.

Total trip miles 2118.... and loved every one of them.

Happy trails,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Taz View Post
    Just got back last night and thank you all for your input.
    Rented an immaculate house on Airbnb in Huron and it was awesome. Three bedrooms, two bath, linens, soap, shampoo, coffee plus an oversized two car garage, 2 minutes from the lake, 10 from Cedar Point and 25 from downtown Sandusky rally all for $1200, for seven days. A great deal as far as I was concerned.
    Sunday rode to the prison in Mansfield where Shawshank Redemption was filmed, very cool.
    Monday rode to Rock & Roll HOF via route 6 around lake, some beautiful homes and scenery. Had lunch at the “Flats” touristy but nice.
    Tuesday rode southeast through farms and small one stop light towns, again very enjoyable with great roads and NO TRAFFIC!!!
    Wednesday did the Henry Ford museum including the Rouge Factory Tour (Thanks Opus for that recommendation). And rode into downtown Detroit to go to Canada. NOTE:Motorcycles are not allowed through the tunnel to Canada but there is no signage stating this that we saw. You must take the Ambassador Bridge. We did have passports and the Canadian customs agent was a real cutie and friendly, US agent not so much.
    Thursday we rode to the west along lake to Cedar Point (picture taking only) and headed south making a big 180 mile loop then ending back at the rally in Sandusky, good music, drink, and fun.
    Friday we took the scenic route to Canton, NFL HOF through Mohican county which had some awesome winding roads and scenery. Being Eagles fans and thanks to the recent SB victory we got to see memorabilia from the game.
    I never knew Ohio was so green and picturesque and I would recommend it to anyone for a trip.
    Lastly we returned home Saturday through Pittsburgh and visited the Flight 92 Memorial, very moving. Every US Citizen should be required to visit all of these memorials to remind them what we have gone through, and the importance of a strong border.

Total trip miles 2118.... and loved every one of them.

Happy trails,
    Rod
    Glad you enjoyed it. Being born and raised up in the area sometimes I forget how nice it is.
    I live south of Youngstown now and the roads over here are almost like being in the smokies.
    Hope to meet you some time.
    ITS ALL GOOD