Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
I got the exact opposite. Quick and curious on the US side and much scrutiny on the Canada side.
When you leave Canada its even worse.. Been up there a dozen times always the same.
We go through the Thousand Island crossing.
Theres one French sounding guy, you better be straight forward with. Any sunglasses or unnecessary talk and he will pull you in and you will be inspected.
A-Holes.
And you will have to have a passport, like a driver license, if you drive through.
Full blown book type passport if you fly in.
And they do it all with a smile.
The Thousand Islands/I-81 crossing is notorious. It is very busy with travelers from the US, many who come to Canada thinking its the 51st state and can just waltz in. The attitude of Canadian customs and Border Patrol there is as bad as the Niagara Falls crossing.

Not sure where you were heading, but get off I-81 take Rt 12 and Rt 37 instead, and cross at Ogdensburg, which is 60 miles of really nice riding with great sightlines and scenery, particularly on the Rt 12 portion. If going to Ottawa or Montreal, this crossing adds nothing to your trip but nice riding and a much smoother ... and significantly faster ... border crossing.