Question on Turn Signal Relay
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Turn Signal Relay

Question on Turn Signal Relay

I changed out my front turn signals to switchback LED's and replaced the turn signal relay to the one from E.C. After that change I lost my self canceling turn signals that the deluxe came with. I'm guessing the relay but want to ask before I try to find another. I did check my fuse panel too just in case, all that's good. Thanks for any help in advance.

Looking at the schematics, I don't see how the turn signal relay could do this. But, it still seems to be the most likely cause??

The cancel circuit is at least partially working if you can push the turn signal button and cancel the turn signals. So it is not completely hosed. The circuit needs the speed pulse signal to work automatically. I don't see how that could have changed?

Because nothing makes sense here, I would swap back the original relay first and see what happens. You changed the relay (flasher) that is in the nose of the fairing, right?

Rather than waiting for a replacement, I modified my original relay to work with LEDs. You have to cut it open, remove the circuit board inside, and cut a trace to the chip (I think pin 7). Then RTV it back together. If the relay turns out to be the problem, and you choose to modify yours, I can help you do that.

Good luck!
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Looking at the schematics, I don't see how the turn signal relay could do this. But, it still seems to be the most likely cause??

The cancel circuit is at least partially working if you can push the turn signal button and cancel the turn signals. So it is not completely hosed. The circuit needs the speed pulse signal to work automatically. I don't see how that could have changed?

Because nothing makes sense here, I would swap back the original relay first and see what happens. You changed the relay (flasher) that is in the nose of the fairing, right?

Rather than waiting for a replacement, I modified my original relay to work with LEDs. You have to cut it open, remove the circuit board inside, and cut a trace to the chip (I think pin 7). Then RTV it back together. If the relay turns out to be the problem, and you choose to modify yours, I can help you do that.

Good luck!
    Thanks, I'll try that this weekend, if the factory one works again then I'll look into your mod. Yes I changed the one in the fairing, sometimes it's a pain to shut off the turn signal, I almost have to push it to the other side and hold it in, wierd.
    Thanks for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by MRB68 View Post
    I changed out my front turn signals to switchback LED's and replaced the turn signal relay to the one from E.C. After that change I lost my self canceling turn signals that the deluxe came with. I'm guessing the relay but want to ask before I try to find another. I did check my fuse panel too just in case, all that's good. Thanks for any help in advance.
    i have read of many others with Deluxe models that are having issues too. Others have issues involving the turn indicator on the dash staying lit until you manually turn it off by using the switch. Those issues are the reasons I have not changed mine. Maybe better off not changing the OEM relay and just let them hyper blink.
    Last edited by Joflewbyu2; 05-30-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joflewbyu2 View Post
    i have read of many others with Deluxe models that are having issues too. Others have issues involving the turn indicator on the dash staying lit until you manually turn it off by using the switch. Those issues are the reasons I have not changed mine. Maybe better off not changing the OEM relay and just let them hyper blink.
    You would think the hyper blink would get more attention?
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    You would think the hyper blink would get more attention?
    I wonder if the state inspection can fail you for the hyper blink? I've seen alot of crazy things rejected here in NH.

Sorry you can't reject some of the politics that come out of that area.

Surly we can keep politics put of our turn signal relays.
    Maybe that’s what the problem is.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I got the Switchbacks in my 2015 Deluxe, and they have worked perfect ever since I installed them, over 2 years ago. Self cancelling blinkers still work just fine. I also have LED headlights, and all LED in the rear, too. No troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    I got the Switchbacks in my 2015 Deluxe, and they have worked perfect ever since I installed them, over 2 years ago. Self cancelling blinkers still work just fine. I also have LED headlights, and all LED in the rear, too. No troubles.
    And which relay did you use? Does your turn signal indicator dash lamp function correctly? Dash lamp indicator Completely stops illuminating after the auto signal stops flashing?